Creating new place file results in 'Loading game (attempt #n)' dialogue, prevents studio use

Reproduction Steps

Open a place file then create a new blank place file from this window.

System info: Windows 10 Pro 64bit - Intel i7-7700k @ 4.80GHz, 32GB, Nvidia 2080 Super
Beta features: All of them are enabled aside from non-strict scripts.

Expected Behavior

Pressing ‘New Place File’ should open the default baseplate in a new studio window.

Actual Behavior

The new studio window with default baseplate is opened fine, but the previous studio window from which you pressed ‘New Place’ (via the New button at the top left or via CTRL+N) permanently shows a ‘Loading baseplate…’ window which cannot be closed, rendering the studio window unusable. Trying to click/interact with studio will play the windows error sound to no avail. The studio window cannot be closed either using Alt+F4 or pressing X. The program is not frozen/hanging, but the dialogue just prevents any further actions.

Pressing ‘cancel’ will display ‘Adding current script version history before closing place’ to then show ‘Loading game (attempt number)’ in an infinite loop.

ldin2

Workaround

In order to close studio, it must be forcibly done via the task manager.

To avoid my main studio window from being rendered unusable, I open a different place file from File > Open Recent and create a new place file from there, then force shutdown the now unusable recent place studio window.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-10-26 00:10:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-10-28 00:10:00 (+01:00)

8 Likes

this bug happened to me too, i don’t know why it keeps happening…

This has happened to me during the most recent studio update too often.
It’s likely due to how places are being made now. They make a new place on your profile - Forcing it to be online.

Slightly off-topic, but is there a way to stop it from publishing the baseplate and stop it from being Team Create enabled by default? I have 61 local place files but I’m pretty sure I don’t want 100 published baseplates.

1 Like

Here’s a video I made about the problem:

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

Disabling the team create related beta feature seemed to fix the issue for me.

1 Like

Vouch

/Also

What a weird and pointless feature to add. Ive always seen Ctrl+N as an ephemeral baseplate

2 Likes

still happening to me … on a mac

This issue should be resolved, so gonna close it out. Thanks for the report and so so sorry for the late response.