Creator Roadmap - AMA with Dan and Manuel [Jan 24, 2024]

Please refer to our answer here.

2 Likes

also can this

go limited this year, thanks :slight_smile:

9 Likes

They just announced it, but unfortunately and very stupidly they are making it USD only.

2 Likes

Will the search algorithm be fixed this year? All i see when I use it is a few rows ( if I’m lucky ) of relevant games, and the rest are sponsored games & completely unrelated games.

1 Like

The glib answer is that we certainly hope it will be helpful to just about everyone! Since the introduction of Assistant we have expanded the ability to create code from scratch from natural language, understand code and improve code with the result that code creation is now more accessible to everybody. We’ve seen a wide range of creators in the beta and are seeing significantly faster coding for users across the board.

We are very focused right now on the quality of suggestions and seeing the rate of acceptance of these suggestions tick up. Expect Assistant to get increasingly more powerful over the course of the year with regular updates.

3 Likes

We are working on fully launching FlexLayouts in the next few months, so stay tuned!

3 Likes

When are we going to get a far less restricted lighting engine? 60 studs and the fact that everything leaks through blocks despite shadows being turned on and painfully slow lighting updates makes rich ambience a difficulty on this engine.

1 Like

When will we see major improvements to the terrain? What I mean is that the current terrain has lots of limitations such as:

• One color per material: Creators can’t have white grass in the snow region, and green grass elsewhere.
  • No foliage support: Creators can only use the built-in grass, but there are a lot of other things like wheat, flowers, etc.
  • Grid size is locked to 4x4x4: Creators can’t fit terrain into small spaces, make precise changes, and terrain itself doesn’t appear as smooth as it should.
5 Likes

QUESTION: Will Roblox Brand Limiteds, Drops, Offsale-classics, and Sponsored Items go Limited in 2024, and the return of the positive, safer, and healthier (safety and Civility), and High-Quality By “Roblox” Brand Limited Drops Safe Marketing practices that used to be on Roblox?

(If my message needs more clarity or any corrections please let me know. Sorry its not very formal.)

4 Likes

Hello! I’ve only one quick question; can we expect to see upgrades to UI visual quality any time soon? In particular, it’d be nice to see antialiased rotated UI and fractional font sizes for smooth animation :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Over time, we will significantly expand the capabilities of Editable* assets to do everything from supporting live replication/co-creation to supporting robust permissioning so that you can implement use cases like what you mentioned. That will all be within the confines of ensuring content creators maintain control of their creations and derivatives from those creations.

For v1, we wanted to start with a smaller, more focused set of functionality so that we could bring a new capability to the platform safely and use it as a basis to learn/iterate. Furthermore, we want to make sure we have a more robust asset permissioning system generally that we can leverage to implement the right permissions for Editable*, and we didn’t want that to block the release of v1 of Editable*.

Your feedback to v1 will help determine the roadmap and priorities, so please give feedback in the devforum threads about this functionality.

4 Likes

What about “Occlusion Culling”

I would like to know the details about her, what she will be, how much performance will increase and so on, as I really hope that she will help a lot in optimizing the game

6 Likes

We have some improvements planned for this year for custom materials, like allowing more than global overrides with terrain materials, but bigger improvements for materials/shaders will likely come in 2025.

Specifically, we are looking at ways to make custom materials more robust with more customization and to better unify SurfaceAppearance and materials. We think this will address many of the needs people have around custom shaders.

Long-term, we believe we will provide customizable shaders, but due to the complexity of making them run robustly across all platforms and devices we support, it’s very much just in the research stage.

24 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up - we acknowledge that this was a previous commitment that we are now changing. Upon further investigating the implementation of the feature, we realized that genres on Roblox are a very fluid concept, and the originally designed feature wouldn’t have worked in the desired manner.

We are now thinking about how to build trusted sources of genre information: from creators, users and other expert sources, and how to do that at scale and in a way that can’t be abused. When we have a more robust design and plan, we will get back to our community with more information.

7 Likes

Great question! As we improve the efficiency of voice chat we’ll raise the limits. For 2024, we’re working on increasing our voice chat server sizes to 100 users. Our long-term vision is to keep scaling to allow you to eventually connect with an unlimited number of users for more immersive experiences like concerts.

10 Likes

There is a section on the Creator Roadmap that is listed as “Break down language barriers” and one of the solutions to this is to have “Automatic Chat Translations.”

Will the automatic chat translation be similar to Google Translate or will Roblox have a translating service of its own that is expanded upon to exclude confusing translations?

Nothing is planned for now but we’ll reach out to you offline to better understand what you’re looking for.

4 Likes

Would you mind further clarifying your question?

Will UGC Limiteds ever go tradeable ?

3 Likes

Copying this question from the last AMA

At RDC and an investor’s call, something was mentioned about clothing designing changing on the platform. Rather than it being done on an image template and being overlayed as a texture like the current way to do 2D clothing, you would paint a texture over a layered clothing mesh. What exactly does that entail? And what does that mean for existing 2D clothing?

1 Like