Creator Roadmap - AMA with Dan and Manuel [Jan 24, 2024]

Hi Creators,

Dan (@TheKingsHappyFool) and Manuel (@aelarix) here, and we are excited to continue our Creator AMA series!

We made some major strides on our Creator Roadmap in 2023 and are so excited for what we have in store for you all in 2024.

From 10 AM PT to 12 PM PT today, we will be available to answer any questions related to roadmap progress in 2023 and the year ahead. For your questions to be answered, please share them in a comment below.

To ensure we can get to as many questions as possible, we ask you to please keep to one question per message and try to keep the questions brief where possible.

We look forward to connecting with you today!
Dan and Manuel

139 Likes

A few years ago, at RDC 2021, Dan Sturman revealed that he had plans to bring dedicated servers to South America, which we still don’t have, although Brazil, for example, is the second country with the most Roblox players and developers.

Does Roblox still have these plans? We’re excited to be able to play our favorite games with lower latency and I can say, on behalf of the entire community, that we’d love to hear from you. You can see this in the comments on Roblox’s Twitter posts, which are full of people asking for a server here in Brazil.

233 Likes

Any update on when this will become a feature: Allow age changes with ID verification even when underaged?
This is severely impacting my and many other developers’ experience on Roblox.

29 Likes

When are we getting hat positing for avatars?

46 Likes

do you know when UGC is gonna be open for everyone?

35 Likes

Are there plans to allow selling of models on the creator marketplace? It would allow creators a large amount of autonomy and trust when actually selling items, and would bring the Creator Store to an entirely new level.

If not, how do you plan on improving the Creator Marketplace?

-Ben

24 Likes

On the roadmap, dynamic filters were put on hold. Is there any information that can be provided about why?

18 Likes

What does the future of Robux look like for developers? Can we expect that developers will be using USD (or some other real-world currency) for all developer-related transactions at some point in the future? If that’s the case, how do you plan to support creators who aren’t able to pay for things with real-world currency? This is an especially prevalent question, given the latest Creator Store announcement.

26 Likes

Hello! it has soon been eight years without any official response or awareness regarding the ability to change colors of MeshParts - in the same way as how you can edit the colors of decals. This has been requested my many reputable studios and developers, and the lack of this feature makes asset reuse multiples of times harder and wastes memory by reuploading the same texture under a different hue. Even if it is not technically plausible at this stage, receiving an acknowledgement towards the issue would be highly appreciated!

47 Likes

When will UGC turn public? Like which month or date will it be released.

19 Likes

What is the current status of releasing the upcoming Audio API and enabling AudioDeviceInput? Super excited for that.

22 Likes

There has been talk behind the scenes about engine changes holding back very anticipated improvements to SurfaceAppearance - notably allowing them to be recolored / color shifted. Where is this currently sitting? Can we anticipate this to happen this year?

39 Likes

Hello @TheKingsHappyFool and @aelarix!

Thank you for your engagement into the Roblox platform. I would like to ask for some details about the “Alt Detection” and “Banning API”. Can we have more information about envisioned functionality of these such as will there be a possibly new Disconnect screen along with the new api, will users be able to provide ban reasons, length etc. Will these features come along in one function or separate?

Thank you.

29 Likes

Can we have clarification on when/what the spatial voice chat API is going to look like?
I have a few use cases I’d like to know about:

• Proximity chat
  • Modifying voices (muffled behind walls, reverb, etc.)
  • Being able to implement things like push to talk, walkie talkies, etc.

I have been noticing additions to the sound API that excite me a lot (all the new audio related instances), but I’d really like to have some official word on it.

23 Likes

Social interaction and community is key to Roblox games. Are there plans to expand the SocialService to prompt players to join groups from in-game?

Related to groups, will the new “Collaboration” feature on the Creator Dashboard that has recently been announced replace groups in future?

14 Likes

My question regards the reworked Studio UI, generally, whats the progress on it, but also, at RDC 2023, it looked like Studio would support multiple WorldModels in the tab divider, where tools could render their own isolated views per tab (though I might be misremembering here)

12 Likes

Thanks for the questions! We ask to please keep it to one question per message to allow us to answer as many people as we can.

7 Likes

Thanks for the questions! We ask to please keep it to one question per message to allow us to answer as many people as we can.

8 Likes

In your previous communication, it was stated that user-generated content (UGC) accessories would be open for public uploads by early 2024. As we have entered this timeframe, I would like to inquire about the measures Roblox intends to implement to address the challenges of counterfeit and inappropriate items in the catalog, particularly in light of the multitude of counterfeit and inappropriate accessories during the current private UGC access period?

14 Likes

Hello, I want to ask if the upcoming code assist feature will be really helpful for everyone? Pls leak some info about that. Thx!

6 Likes