Creator Store Seller Onboarding Now Open!

Honestly the Plugin Marketplace just isn’t a great environment to be in with the constant pricing disputes. I genuinely don’t know how much something is or isn’t worth, I never have really on the platform (yes I know you have great videos for this).

I still would like to see a 99 cents minimum floor instead of 5 dollars personally, you can buy video games for 99 cents :joy:

2 Likes

I have never heard of 99 cent video games, unless you’re talking like itch.io tiny games made by random people. I just bought an album on iTunes for 10.99 GBP, this seems to be the more typical price point.

6 Likes

Why would I want to spend more money just to get a plugin when I already have the equivalent amount of Robux? There’s a way higher chance that I would want to buy a plugin with Robux that I get from premium than having to get out a credit card to pay another X amount of money

3 Likes

This is probably true. When you deal with real money, things become a lot more complicated. Besides requiring your age, setting up an automated scam system has serious monetary consequences for Roblox. When someone charges you back, the merchant (Roblox) is charged $15. When someone demands a refund, Stripe keeps the 2.9% fee. Apply this at scale and that costs Roblox serious money.

Edit: A couple posts below covers money laundering, which I am embarrassed I forgot about. That is a very serious concern for Roblox and Stripe. Jail time for the companies serious.

9 Likes

Cheap games also can include additional purchases later. We don’t have that… luxury… or not(?) as an option. We have 1 chance to make our cut unless Roblox adds donations or subscriptions.

5 Likes

I once again request that we can see this, if Roblox’s own APIs can even see it, why cant we?

9 Likes

The DevEx process already requires some form of ID verification before you can be paid out to via Tipalti.

There is no additional encroaching here, so this argument is moot.

18 Likes

5 dollars is a lot for a lot of people who are not in the US. Here in Brazil it is about 25 reais (not too much, but a lot for most people I know to spend for a plugin).

4 Likes

I am worried, what does this mean? If I make $1,000 from a plugin, and then Roblox suddenly moderates my asset, does that mean Roblox will charge me $1,000 to refund everyone who purchased my asset?

7 Likes

This is very likely to prevent money laundering and tax dodging, as well as other forms of financial fraud. It’s not just “another forced ID feature” this time. buildthomas has explained how even DevEx requires some form of basic ID.

11 Likes

Think it might be worth noting that Stripe doesn’t even operate in Brazil (or Russia, apparently both in the top 3 countries for development but that’s more understandable compared to Brazil) apparently unfortunately

Not sure if it affects buying, but it does affect selling

4 Likes

I imagine this will be a lot like how subscriptions operate. They display the price in USD but pay you, the developer, in Robux instead of USD. Not sure, I haven’t even looked at it nor do I intend to, so I could be wrong about that.

But if that’s the case, they’d probably deduct robux from your account and refund it that way.

2 Likes

This is not how it works. You’re paid directly.

8 Likes

:neutral_face:

So close to being a useful update.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Even if they removed the ID verification, you still have to verify your ID with Stripe for legal reasons, and that includes providing tax form which includes your SSN.

13 Likes

I think it might be worth pointing out for anyone reading that regardless of what account you’re making, Stripe requires ID to sign up.

Arguably verifying through Roblox is easier though. My passport has expired but thanks to verifying before it expired, I could sign up to Stripe theoretically with no issues.

4 Likes

Good to know. They should probably clarify the refunding process then, namely how it affects the seller.

3 Likes

This change seems great, allowing creators to get their full (minimum tax) payment. While I do not like to see the ID verification requirement, I appreciate the fact it will not be taxed as much as Robux when devexing.

Hopefully, we will still be able to purchase plugins using Robux as well though

2 Likes

Plugins will definitely be some luxury products for developers who are on a budget, especially for the younger ones or the ones living in third world countries, since the pricing will be on USD without any local pricing. I wish that at least Robux was convertible to some sort of USD credit for purchasing plugins.

4 Likes