Custom textures for terrain

Smooth terrain is really cool and super handy, but to me it’s lacking one important feature; custom textures. This could work in many ways; you could be able to import your own materials and such or, alternatively, “overwrite” Roblox’ current terrain textures to suit your needs.

I’m requesting this to broaden the use of smooth terrain - e.g. a cartoony game does not go well with realistic terrain textures.

• I want to customise smooth terrain textures!
  • I don’t want to customise smooth terrain textures/don’t see the need!

0 voters

(this was already proposed about a year ago, and @zeuxcg has also stated that it would be difficult to support custom textures, but here’s to hoping it will become a thing anyway):

**Edit:**This old screenshot might give a better understanding of what I mean:[img]//devforum-uploads.s3.dualstack.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/uploads/original/3X/3/9/39bf817eae8c61281cb6cf33d48060d9e145b653.jpg[/img]
57 Likes

Please, please, PLEASE make this happen!

10 Likes

I really think we should get drop-down options like “dry grass” and “coarse sand”, to make more of a built-in variety, but custom textures could work well too.

8 Likes

I never did get my custom textures to work in that build zuexcg gave out. I might have to spend more time figuring out what went wrong… So yeah I’m all for this.

1 Like

This update would be brilliant.

3 Likes

The screenshot you edited in may be a bit misleading because that has vegetation, which won’t suddenly be possible when we have custom textures.

Custom textures would be awesome. Sometimes I just can’t get the right colors I want. Im looking foward to textures like dead leaves or cracked road

I can’t imagine the texture composition is easy to work with.

still no foliage

cry everytime

Yeah its not easy at all.
Here is a sample of a texture edit:

As you can see I have replaced the grass textures with Jack Black holding up a stop sign.
Seems simple enough, right?
However, its a different story in-engine:

20 Likes

Would be great if we could have some “texture packs” for different art styles. If there was a more cartoony set next to the one we have right now it would probably fill a lot of use cases. Doesn’t necessarily mean we have to be able to upload our own.

Or if we could change the hue/lightness of the textures with a property, that would work wonders too.

8 Likes

Im still ok with that, that’ll work with messy textures

lol I was like: Didn’t I suggest this a while ago?
Then I saw ur link and smiled to myself abit :smile:

1 Like

Back in December @zeuxcg was working on something kind of like that: <a&href=http://devforum.roblox.com/t/what-smooth-terrain-materials-would-you-like-to-add/19862/29?u=gkku>BrickColor support for smooth terrain voxels. Though I don’t think it worked out since I’m pretty sure that’s the first and last place he ever talked about it.

Based on the feedback from some thread where I asked about desired features we deprioritized color support.

Ah man that’s too bad

1 Like

What about allowing us to set hue/lightness offsets for each terrain material that can be updated (semi) real-time like the terrain water properties? It would give us a lot more variety and we can code our games to have slightly different colours of grass/stone/whatever in each area, for example.

3 Likes

After watching zeuxcg talk about more features for smooth terrain at RDC, it got me thinking of custom textures for smooth terrain again. Not all games have a realisitc aesthetic, causing smooth terrain to look very out of place. @zeuxcg

6 Likes

I keep suggesting the ability to toggle the use of part materials in place of their linked smooth terrain material. However there are more smooth terrain materials, they’d either have to make the extra smooth terrain materials part materials as well, or just use the current smooth terrain materials when this boolean is active.

2 Likes

terrain color painting would be perfect

3 Likes