Custom Themes for Roblox Studio

Custom Themes for Roblox Studio

For anybody, a Custom Theme for any application would really make it much more fun and less plain. Also, it could comfort us with our own fancy colours or background instead of the light and dark themes we have. For some, it can be motivating if they have motivational quotes around Studio… or perhaps custom images for the launcher/loader.
This is a feature a lot of us are dreaming of, but isn’t it time dreams come true?

Ability to customize your theme in Roblox Studio;

Instead of having us “program” our way into making a theme, which is the case for many different applications… there could be a setting where we could input our own images or a custom colour setting for each and every different feature in Studio like the bars up top, Properties and Explorer ( Anywhere ) and for the Roblox Studio Launcher as well.

A fancy launcher for Roblox Studio

What’s better than opening up your PC to an inspirational lock screen background/image? Wouldn’t that be cool with the Roblox Studio Launcher? Let us add something of our own, doesn’t always have to be an inspirational image like I said, it could be a cool gif/video too!

Is there a downside?

I sure hope not! It should only take a minor amount of space to customize it ourselves! Which means no lag.
And, for those people who… put inappropriate stuff as there backgrounds… Roblox should do the usual thing they do when we upload things to roblox!
But it shouldn’t be a problem either, because only you can see it unless you share it on a different app ( like discord ) but that would no longer be a problem for Roblox Staff…

Thanks for reading!

113 Likes

If custom themes were added, most plugins would automatically support them without any updates. The current API that plugins use for getting colors would be compatible with custom themes. If we were able to create custom themes, the APIs that already exist could return the colors that the user chose.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, Studio currently has two themes, dark and light. There are functions and Enums that plugins can use to get specific colors, in order to make them match the rest of the Studio UI.

Developer Hub Documentation:

Studio | Roblox Creator Documentation

StudioTheme | Roblox Creator Documentation

StudioTheme | Roblox Creator Documentation

StudioStyleGuideColor | Roblox Creator Documentation

14 Likes

Good point! Thank you for this addition on the topic.

7 Likes

As a Roblox Developer it is currently too hard to personalize my studio experience due to the inability to customize Roblox Studio Themes.

There are some really nice looking script editor themes out there like Spacey and with this limitation of not being able to customize our Roblox Studio Themes to fit with our script editors is annoying and the rest of studio look weird.

If this was addressed, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to make Roblox Studio the way I want and the current themes that we have are too limited and lack customizability.

5 Likes

A while ago, someone did actually make a studio patcher that allowed you to edit the json colors, however til now it no longer works anymore and was the closest thing to themes we got.

3 Likes

Do you have it perchance? I could try to fix it up and maybe get it working again. Thanks!

3 Likes

This would be a great addition!
I don’t understand why we still don’t have this, we already have Dark and Light Themes, it’s all about RGB combination in the end…

3 Likes

Yes, I do. I’ll send a link below in a moment.

3 Likes

Video below for tutorial and source link too. There’s been a new commit change 2 weeks ago on the github link but I’m unsure if it still works with current studio.

5 Likes

I agree with this, I want to import the Visual Studio Code theme to Roblox as I mainly use Visual Studio for coding and stuff, I was recommended with a npm thing but I’m not familiar with NPM, and I don’t know how to program too much with JavaScript and node.js (I did program with JavaScript but not node.js) and it said this:

and it sounds like it will change the theme for Visual Studio so I don’t like it that way, and I looked into the source code and I don’t even understand the code :confused:

4 Likes

That just changes the script editor theme, not Roblox Studio’s actual interface.

3 Likes

does it change the roblox studio script editor or visual studio script editor?

2 Likes

Converts a Visual Studio Code theme into one that is compatible with Roblox Studio’s script editor.

It just converts your Visual Studio Code theme through json, and re-assigns it into a friendly format that can be used as a Roblox Studio script editor theme. also, npm is just short for node package manager, a package manager that allows you to install packages via CLI (e.g npm install express).

4 Likes

this would be a insanely nice feature.

2 Likes

Check this out https://devforum.roblox.com/t/roblox-studios-new-ui/2600103. It seems as though this might fulfill this feature request when it releases