DataStore Editor

I recreated my DataStore editor plugin. It looks better, can access ordered DataStores, handles errors better, and is overall easier to use.

Here’s a screenshot querying a table within my player’s data in Angels Fifteen:

I expect that there are bugs I did not find during testing. I can only think of so many scenarios myself. If you encounter anything weird, please let me know!

I created a video “tutorial” that walks through the basics. Most of it is self-explanatory:

The plugin:
https://www.roblox.com/library/701506235/DataStore-Editor

45 Likes

This is so useful for me. Once a week I get a message saying someone’s roadbux got taken but they didn’t get their product. Now I can edit in their stuff without hardcoding <3

Edit: Watched some more of the video. You should make more hints for some of the UI. I would never have thought to click the empty data to create new data.

4 Likes

Cool. Will do. If anyone else has any suggestions just like this, I’ll most likely add them.

Really cool

With maps and dictionaries, would it be feasible to display the path taken for the current table if the table is more than 1 layer deep?

For example, it would display
data/PlaneUpgrades/Bomber/FireSpeeds
When querying the the FireSpeeds table

Totally! That’s called a breadcrumb. I’ll add that to the list too. It already internally stores this full path, so it will be really easy to add it to the display.

rip me, my saving system doesn’t work with this because its just 1 encrypted string…

Love the make-over! I’ve been using this since you released it. Awesome work :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean ‘compressing’? Encrypting data store contents is not needed

No, I do mean encrypting it.

Why? Would seem to be much less of a hassle to avoid doing that.

I share the data with the client in some instances along with HTTP service to store some data. Its just easier for me to do it that way.

Obviously not in this case.

1 Like

Freaking, amazing.

A couple of hopeful suggestions:

1, Adding a horizontal scroll bar for strings that are very long (No way to view all of the string currently).

2, A more direct way to view/edit JSON encoded variables.

These things aren’t related I swear

There is a scrollbar. I’ve tested it with long strings and it’s worked. Is it not working for you?

The JSON thing is good though, but I guess I would encourage people to simply save tables directly, since why not. However, lots of people have done that, so perhaps I can figure out how to implement something that will decode JSON strings and throw it into a table view.

There is a scrollbar here: https://gyazo.com/257d0c5079798206184307585a457385
But not here: https://gyazo.com/bd6378374082178f071c86dce10c6419

I asked scripting helpers how to make my datastore lol

(╯ಠ__ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is not how you datastore

What’s your reason for doing it that way, by the way?

3 Likes

When I first created the datastore I was under the impression that it was going to run out of data pretty quickly, and someone in the scripting helpers told me to json encode it to save data, lol.

Too late to change it now boi

(Scrollbar issue)

Interesting. That TextBox is set to wrap text. I wonder why it’s not being wrapped? I’ll look into it and see. Maybe it’s a limitation of how TextBoxes wrap text on ROBLOX?

JSON encoding a table is a valid option when you’re trying to manage save data of potentially large size. I do it on my boat saving to guarantee write to datastore works.

2 Likes

Just tried this out today and it is soooo much nicer than your previous one. Awesome job :thumbsup: