Decals and Textures are rendering as extremely low resolution in-game

A lot of textures and decals in RoVille (🏘️ RoVille - Roblox) sometimes load as very low quality. I’ve noticed it in some other games. (Maybe the only the games make extensive use of custom textures?)

Here’s a few examples:

Happens with clothing too it seems:

Expected behavior

Textures should not be compressed to oblivion

10 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when there’s any update on the issue.

3 Likes

currently facing the same issue on low resolution with textures (Mesh objects, UGC accessories, etc) - also noticing the strange flickering on roblox material textures when first spawning the player character and the material textures stay in low resolution as well afterwards

here are something that I’ve noticed about the issue -

• seems to be only affect places with relatively large part counts and causing the engine to auto-adjust texture quality for performance boost (while quality setting is set to “Manual”)
  • causing mesh texture, material texture to flicker during the texture quality auto-adjust
  • although the texture quality being adjusted to lower quality, the process on auto-adjusting (flickering) actually appears to be CPU intensive and result in low FPS for a while
  • after the auto-adjusting, all affected textures stay in low quality and didnt appear to revert to full quality even for a while
  • only happens on my dev place with high part counts while my testing place with low part counts being unaffected
1 Like

I’ve had this issue but instead parts compress or lag out to the point where I can collide with them but they aren’t visible. (Even with stock Roblox textures)

Beisdes above findings, also noticed the issue would only happen for some servers but not everytime joining the game so I was thinking would there be an AB testing with this quality automatic adjustment?

some comparison on texture quality when the issue happens -

Sorry for the ping! @thirdtakeonit I have included some findings above that might benefit on pinpointing the current issue and it might be helpful for team to review Thank youu!

I’ve noticed this happens when the client runs out of memory. Or atleast if the engine thinks they’re running out of memory.

Common issue for our game on mobile devices. Personally haven’t noticed this outside of low-memory situations.

I’m gonna link this topic here too: Blurry / compressed materials on the desktop web-launched client despite adequate hardware availability

I believe this is related or at least very similar.

1 Like

Please confirm whether or not this issue still exists since it seems very similar to the link that KasCode has posted.