Default R15 Player Animations Now Include Strafing and Backpedaling [Beta]

Quite looks pretty interesting! Although once creating a script that would enable the AutoRotate, change the gravity of the Workspace to Rthro and playtest, it appears that it prints an issue indicating that there is no information regardless of linear velocity for both walking and running situation:

5 Likes

I’m getting “Strafe blending disabled. Not all quadrants of motion represented,” no matter what I do. I’ve tried several character models (R15 and Rthro), have toggled AutoRotate and RotationType to all permutations, but still no dice.

Maybe I’m missing something?

4 Likes

I can’t put into words how great this update is but it is a little sad that such animations aren’t available for R6 characters aswell, and yes I understand the goal of the platform is fully migrate to R15

5 Likes

90% of the time this is due to having Walk or Run overridden for your avatar.
Try clicking on Avatar from your home page and deselecting any selected Run or Walk.

5 Likes

I have been waiting for something like this forever! thank you so much! however will there be a way for developers to use this more easily? as in making it so that you can make less animations and have the same results? also will video frame be coming out soon since theres tons of updates? :pleading_face:

4 Likes

I’ve noticed you guys are releasing a lot of “small” updates that are slowly making Roblox more realistic. Just wanted to let you know, and I speak for many other people too, that I really appreciate it and I like how they are in beta so you can let developers throw out their feedback before the final release. Thanks a lot. :pray:

13 Likes

Gave this a go but not seeing any change. Any other ideas? Or should I send experience ID somewhere?

2 Likes

Just as cryptic says, you need to go to your roblox avatar. and unequip the run and walk animation for the strafing to work.

3 Likes

Looks pretty cool, looks realistic. I think this would benefit games that support r15.

2 Likes

NO WAY REALISTIC FEATURE COMING
thank god for this update, i think i remembered this was a thing from battle royale kit before.

:pray:

3 Likes

Some people have reported issues with Game Settings->Avatar->Animations set to “Standard” rather than “Players Choice”.
We are looking into this. You might want to check those settings for your place.

5 Likes

Thank you for this feedback, we are looking into the issue.

2 Likes

I borrowed something earlier for strafing & patched it into Animate without really knowing what I was doing. The player & NPCs ended up trundling about like Muppets. This update could be great. I guess this post is a reminder (to myself) to diff this feature so I can patch crouching back in.

1 Like

I truly think this is gonna look amazing on Some Experiences

1 Like

cool!! Can’t wait to test it out

2 Likes

“At this time” implies you will in the future, yes?

2 Likes

Huuge fan of the extra detail and immersion this feature creates.

One thing I’m cautious about though is that there used to be, and I’m pretty sure there still is(?), an animation limit per 10 seconds. I think if you play more than 10 animations in that period of time, no new animations will be replicated to other players for that period. How does that limitation interact with this feature? It looks like you’ve implemented full 8-directional movement, which will absolutely exceed this limit.

9 Likes

Support for default animations is present.
The behavior with Avatar => Animation == Standard is a bug.
A fix is underway.
Thanks for this feedback!

8 Likes

This is a really awesome feature! BUT, the way it’s being implemented is disastrous. I really don’t like how this Animate script is structured, and I think it’s horrible that the same old script is being iterated on instead of being refactored.

It’s extremely hard to read/iterate on. Explicitly listening to RotationType and AutoRotate to determine whether the humanoid is going through a strafing motion is weird, volatile, and not future proof. Trying to listen for velocity changes directly through changed events is bad practice too.

I went out of my way to rebuild Animate from the ground up to use a more modern and clean structure. It’s much easier to iterate and expand on, and it functions nearly the same as this new script!

Strafing is handled by tracking the velocity of the character relative to their orientation. Animation speeds and weights are patched by state callback functions. You can control the weight and speed of multiple tracks at the same time, and it was much easier to integrate strafing animations into this foundation than it was with the old structure.

While I don’t expect this script will be adopted by Roblox, I’d be happy to open a dialogue about the future of the Animate script. Anyone here is also free to adopt this script in place of Roblox’s default animate script. It is fully backwards compatible and free to use :slight_smile:

Here’s a place where you can test it:

53 Likes

This is an update I didn’t know I needed xD

It’s a nice implementation to the animations and will certainly make them more realistic. I hope that very soon it will be compatible with all animations.

2 Likes