Deprecating Lighting.Legacy, Introducing Lighting.Compatibility

@ConvexRumbler I can’t see the difference between unreal engine and Roblox… Great work!

2 Likes

This is a really neat feature, great job!

Looks nice! Does anyone know when the new material system will launch??

1 Like

My only issue with Voxel is that it seemingly removes a great deal of detail on darker clothing. I have attempted to change the lighting/color correction, but the darker clothes always appear very bland and plain.

4 Likes

This isn’t every time tho. This is the rare one-off situation you inevitably get when there’s a completely new lighting system in the works. The Roblox engineers have maintained near immaculate backwards compatibility for essentially an eternity, and we should be thankful we’re not tweaking our settings everyday. This is really a non issue compared to some other platforms where updates are far more breaking.

2 Likes

Been noticing this warning in my game, and it redirects here. When is exactly the date when Lighting.Technology = Legacy deprecated?

6 Likes

Actual reflections! I am definitely looking forward to this! Even if it’s just the light, it’s a step forward to the future.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this, not in clothing but when using relatively dark grays and blacks while building highly-detailed models.

New material system looks great! Cant wait! :smiley:

1 Like

Why is my lawn shiny…?

(Legacy is shown first - I then switch to Compatibility.)

25 Likes

How much brighter can a neon green and cyan get to get a proper glow?
image image

Having to go this bright and still not seeing a glow is ridiculous.

7 Likes

Well I’ll let this screenshot speak for itself. It was taken with default bloom and lighting settings (aside from brightness which is at 1 instead of 2) with Lighting.Technology set to Compatibility.

4 Likes

I love these upcoming lighting. I am surprised that they are gonna have good shadows. Hopefully won’t lag me because I still used Windows 7.

2 Likes

I’m not really happy with this change, legacy gives much a brighter variant. but Compatibility is alright.

3 Likes

The OS doesn’t matter if you have Windows 7. What really matters is other specifications such as the processor, RAM and, quite importantly but equally overlooked, the GPU. Adding onto that, an OS is almost never a bottleneck unless it’s quite old and unsupported. Even in those cases the OS might not be a bottleneck.

3 Likes

I feel like adding a Neon.Intensity ability independent of color for neon parts could be able to help a lot of the problems people are having with neon in the new lighting. Neon can do a lot of great things so far, and making its affect configurable would take things a bit further. Theres already a post someone made about this as a feature request which has been solved, but using transparency means that the part has to be see-through.

7 Likes

exactly! Thank you for adding on to this. Hopefully we’ll see more updates with materials in the near-future.

I am one of those “angry” people. I understand why you would want to get rid of old code so you can continue to update things more efficiently but please consider these images
(first legacy then compat)

It greatly ruins just about ALL of it, from material, to neon, to color, etc
I’ve also noticed this weird issue.
It starts out as Compat then goes to legacy and if you look closely the cape has a weird blob effect on it. Not sure what this is but i’m hoping its fixed. So far I don’t like this change and hope Legacy will stay or a newer version will be released but I obviously have no control

37 Likes

How come Voxel and Compatibility mode causes more lag than legacy? Will this be fixed? My players are complaining about lag after switching over.

7 Likes

Have you tried putting in some Post - Processing effects like Color Correction & boosting the saturation? The reflections won’t change but the colors will be brighter like you wanted.

2 Likes