Design Changes to Game Tiles (Limited Rollout)

A post was split to a new topic: No useful information available in new homepage

A post was split to a new topic: New home page shows games that aren’t playable

This forum post is in no way related to the new Home page. Please post this in Bug reports and/or feature requests. Thanks

@EchoReaper @BuildIntoGames

1 Like

Q: Where did the creator name go?
A: The creator name has officially been removed from the hover state on the game tiles. We did this to make it easier for players to find the best games we have to offer by refocusing on what is most important to them. Your group and username will always be viewable on the Game Details page.

I feel like this change was unneeded, as @Dawgra said, it could give scammers an advantage because the name is harder to access.

I suggest at least implementing a tool tip when hovering over the icon and name of the game that shows the name and creator of the game, such as “[Game] by [Creator]”.

6 Likes

Getting the name takes less than a second if you click the icon since its on the game’s page.

For users with a slower internet connection it can take several seconds to load the game page, which is unacceptable when all they want is fundamental information. In addition, if a user clicks through ~6 game tiles looking for one made by one specific user and doesn’t find it right away, they’re very likely to just give up looking, which could hurt developers if the game search page returns a giant pile of identical icons for games that may or may not have bots playing.

A tool tip is a decent idea.

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: No useful information available in new homepage

One of the first rules of UX… Centered text is almost always bad.
In this case, I strongly agree with left-alignment.

1 Like

It looks really bad imo unless your game title fills up 2 lines and doesn’t use emojis in the title (which is quite specific)

In this case, I think the card for Bloxburg actually looks pretty nice, but the one for MeepCity is terrible (relating to the alignment) cause of the emoji (out of place) and the one-line title (lots of empty space)

If you find yourself clicking on inactive games you don’t want to play, the problem is with the sorting.

The algorithm that decides what tiles to display is much more important than the information displayed on individual tiles. It just needs to be easy for the player to find the game they want to play with the people they want to play with.

If a game has no players or extremely poor ratings it should be harder to find. New games trying to grow can run ads to be found, but old games with many poor ratings should be able to improve without less-relevant ratings holding them back.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: No useful information available in new homepage