Developer Roadmap Update: 2021

I think a minor degree of speculation is reasonable when they suddenly vanished from the site without a trace, warning, or announcement.

4 Likes

Probably because they have no reason to keep it in the first place.

1 Like

Where did the section that said what quarter of what year these might get released go? Detroit?

1 Like

I among many wish for more transparency between the company and us as developers, but planned features carry no guarantees. We can’t outright point fingers at Roblox just for changing their minds and not telling us, or why.

Speculate if you’d like, but they’re not trying to keep secrets. They just decided to cease pursuing it.

It may very well come back as another planned feature in the future - like MessagingService once was, I believe.

3 Likes

The main point I was getting at was that it seemed very much like they were trying to silently brush said features under the rug, by hiding previous roadmaps and failing to acknowledge that they existed. :confused:

If we’re being frank, Roblox has a history of issues keeping the statuses of its current and planned features up to date. The Roadmap itself is far from the original page for upcoming features. It’s not beyond the possibility that they just don’t want to maintain the older instances anymore, and not because they want to sweep scrapped features under the rug.

Just recently in Release Notes for 482, there was some discussion about how a lot of flags (even from previous Release Notes) still say “Pending.”

I don’t like that they’ve hidden the previous roadmaps either, but if anything it’s because Roblox likely doesn’t want to be responsible for actively updating them anymore, at least until they’ve upgraded their flag checking systems.

2 Likes

We actually identified what was causing a lot of the Release Notes items to go incorrectly updated. You might start seeing them be much more accurate in the near future.

7 Likes

Please note that the roadmap is not a comprehensive list of features we are looking into. To reference the page directly - ‘This is not a complete list of all features we’re currently working on; it is merely some large features which we are currently investigating, ordered by how far along we are in our investigation.’. A feature being removed is not particularly evidence that Roblox is no longer pursuing it (and equally this message shouldn’t be taken as evidence that Roblox is pursuing the feature!).

We continue to improve the roadmap updating process, as clear communication with the creator community is super important to us!

As an aside, new roadmap update, can be found here .

Changelog

• Find (All) / Replace (All) - now released
  • Custom Pivot Points - now in Open Beta
  • Memory Store - now in Closed Beta
8 Likes

I am really glad they are working on 2FA with Authenticator App as many accounts are at risk of being hacked through the current system. I can’t wait to see this out of beta for us to use safely to keep our accounts safe and secure from hackers. As someone who has been hacked recently and lost quite a lot (my most visited game and 62,000 Robux), I really hope that the 2FA using an app comes out soon.

Also, I love that they are looking into adding the ability to rename groups in the future.

2 Likes

As someone who has been running a large community of groups since 2013, this group renaming feature would be incredibly useful. It sounds like it is slated to come out soon, in quarter 3, so an update, or some information on how it might work, would be well appreciated by the clan community.

3 Likes

Is there any plans to implement render filters? The potential would be endless for devs!

2 Likes

Is there any plans to make some kind of linked folders to have tools/stuff in multiple places of the same game? I’m aware there are methods but having a more polished and specified built-in feature for this would be cool :grinning:

4 Likes

Can’t you use Packages feature for that?

Unless you’re talking about using the linking feature in the live game, then that’s fair.

1 Like

Hey all,

Just wanted to flag that we have recently updated the roadmap. You can see it here.

6 Likes

I’m not sure if I see any differences on the roadmap since the last time I checked this month. The page is also showing that it was last updated in September so I don’t know if the changes were fully published or not.

You might need to refresh your cache, I had to. In case it still doesn’t work after that, here’s an image of what I see:

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks peraldon. I was waiting for this. :slight_smile:

Is there any update on the re-naming investigation?

2 Likes

Do you group renaming investigation?

1 Like

Hi all! Wanted to flag that we’ve recently updated the high-level roadmap. You can see it here.

5 Likes