Diving into Generative AI

Bet it’ll get locked behind premium at minimum, and authorized users at most. (authorized similarly to UGC)

1 Like

i already do the code thing with chat gpt but it can only do easy stuff it’s harder when there are nested functions, complex behavior, edits that need to be done, etc

Overall I think the materials generation should be the priority because of the resources already available, but this is super cool and exciting to see for both. Hopefully the training data for the in-engine code examples will be good enough to correct a lot of the errors chat GPT frequently produces.

1 Like

2023 is definitely the year of AI, chatGPT, ai generated images, bing ai, and now ai in Roblox

2 Likes

Being a developer is a serious job, if every single player can be a developer then developers that treat Roblox as a job will quit because their job will have no value.

2 Likes

You say what you want I’m gonna enjoy some better games than a bunch of cheap free model uncopylocked simulators.

1 Like

The slogan of Roblox is “powering imagination” they’re powering imagination with AI, right?

2 Likes

I do feel like this won’t be a bigger issue than people are making it out to be. The AI does have its extents, obviously you can’t ask it to make a simulator game for you and expect an entire game. It’s like github copilot, except Roblox’s version of it.

If we end up getting low quality AI games generated by 9 year olds, it definitely won’t be a big deal because I bet everyone will be hating on them.

Also, to those saying people won’t be learning scripting, you’re gonna need some experience with it as even the AI isn’t perfect, you’ll need to know how to debug code still.

5 Likes

This is what I said earlier, low quality games.

This is happening right now (+1 speed per second, +1 jump per second, you get the point) and if we get more of it, then Roblox will be filled with low quality games.

AI is not as advanced to make some crazy for example Blox Fruits game. But it is capable of making VERY low quality which may be even buggy because the AI did a mistake and people do not know how to fix it.

EDIT: for the above post - didn’t read it, sorry for the copy! Using mobile…

I understand your frustration but I’d like to point out why I think you are wrong here.

Firstly, we won’t be seeing AI that can generate complete games any time soon. Right now AI is simply a tool- it can help with generating individual scripts and functions, but as of yet it can’t weave these together into an enjoyable and complete experience.

I agree this will eventually occur, for some jobs later than others, but it will happen. Here’s why I am not worried. During the 1800’s America underwent the industrial revolution. Machines eliminated the need for many jobs, and as a result received pushback. And while yes, some jobs were lost, new ones were replaced in factories and in the creation of the automated machines. This pattern has been repeated time and time again, and I believe it will happen again.

While yes, I am sure less people will bother learning Lua (as a note- generative AI is not at a point and will not be for a while where you can simply make an entire game without knowing how to script), I doubt we will see degraded game quality. Players will simply not play poorly designed games, which will push developers into ensuring their game is of a high quality. I think having AI to assist with the creation process opens the door for people who have a great, creative idea or story to tell, allowing them to express it in a game, while not having to be experienced in all aspects of development.

At least for now, I see generative AI on Roblox as a tool to accelerate the creation process, not something that will have a detrimental effect on developers.

8 Likes

You’re saying that people will not play poorly created games.

But they do.

Take cart ride into nothing. 5K players. +1 speed every second. 1/2K players.

Maybe they won’t play like some really bad and buggy game, but low quality games are already out there earning thousands.

1 Like

Yes, there are young children who spend time in poorly created games, but Roblox is continuing to expand to a more mature audience, who will be less likely to spend time in poorly created games.

I don’t see how AI is going to suddenly make this problem worse, anyone can make this type of game now with no experience and some free models.

2 Likes

I don’t know what to say, but there are people who say it’s not nice, and there are people who say it’s nice, but I will make vote to know if it’s nice or not.

This update is so good?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

How far is this scripting AI going to go? Will it write entire games for us? - forgive me, I’m slightly concerned about being replaced by AI already!

1 Like

@Dede_4242 @Epic_Mathys

If you were talking about maps or how do maps spread? You need to:

• It should be in the music map
  • The shape of the map should be nice and good
  • It must be in the DataStore
  • It must settings in the map
  • And it is necessary that the name of the map be attached to the map, and idea

1 Like

Yeah I know, that’s why I’m telling that an AI can’t make a whole game.

2 Likes

Actually, thsi woudl make people step out of their houses and figure out what’s actually happening

Now you made me repeat thsi 100 times, thsi is not what I’m scared of, it’s just that this AI will make an outburst of low-effort Games, and will hide well-made Games, and will mark less well-made Games get to the pale they deserve

2 Likes

But this can evolve @Epic_Mathys

Still need an human to organize and connect ai stuff together.

People can’t ask to an AI to do something that needs the both scripts to be “connected” idk what word to use to explain.

2 Likes

What you say is correct, but I mean that in the future they can develop robots

2 Likes

If the robots/ai make the whole game we can’t call the “creator” a creator anymore.