Docking Updates [Full Release]

In the new docking system, I’m unable to place the Output beneath Explorer and Properties if they’re side by side.

Old Docking

New Docking

4 Likes

the freezing issue has happened to me before this update, i haven’t found a repro yet but it appears to be an issue with the curve animation editor (though i use that way more so it could affect the regular one too)

+1 on the vote. They have become essential to my workflow.

1 Like

Side docking region can no longer be split into three panels with one larger panel below and two smaller panels above.

In the studio:
Before:

After:

This beta version introduces restrictions on the splitting of panels. I hope to be able to arrange the panels as before in future updates.

3 Likes

finally i can undock the viewport again, next time just make it a flag before completely disabling it please :skull:

2 Likes

This still doesn’t fix the issues of floating windows on a 2nd monitor moving slightly up and left each time I start Studio…
Studio windows on 2nd screen saving in different position off edge of screen
I’ve replied to you on my post there as well, but thought I’d link my post so if anyone here was going to report it they could see it’s already been done.

The new docking system feel good but when I try to open a script from the explorer it open in the explorer tab instead of my mains tabs, where the viewport and the others script related tabs are

2 Likes

*Pls ignore the ui I was testing how new ui looks

This is my current docking system I saw it last and tested it but if you see at the borders there docks that you can calopase but on the new one that cannot what makes the viewport a lot smaller

This function with the docks you can calopase id useful for menus you don’t need always

What maybe handful is is if you can make multiple docking pages like you can switch it one can you show the viewport and one for scripting

But I will try this again maybe I find a handful docking

And can there a function to save a docking system so you can make two I can then make one for streaming where I can close plugins I’m working on what not published is yet instead of blur it

3 Likes

As the PLUGINS Tab is part of the Layout, it would be nice if it can either be fixed, or that the PLUGINS TAB can Undock.
With the amount of Plugins installed, and I’m sure others have more, some Plugins seem to be hard to reach (or see).
I am aware that some Plugins take up more space than others.
Maybe this should be a standard size (and forced on all plugin makers).

When I scroll to the right… but clicking the > (on the FIRST view of Plugins), I can’t see the very last plugin …

… and when I go to the 2nd batch of plugins (after clicking the >), there’s no way of telling if it’s missing the last plugin … which should be on left of this image…

But one can easily work out that nothing missing between image 2 and image 3…

Is there a way around this ?
If not, is it possible to make Plugins … as a whole (all in one) … Undockable if desired ?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Yeah we’ve got a couple of different reports of issues with Animation Editor, specifically. We’ll be digging into it but you may need to float it for now (assuming that fixes it)

1 Like

We’ll be addressing this with a couple of different options in the next gen Studio UI. This includes having a Plugins menu and the ability to build your own tabs. But undocking the toolbars is an interesting thought to consider!

4 Likes

I will dance if the era of the needlessly massive toolbox window is about to end.

1 Like

It looks like maybe you split the Center region with the Explorer? Can you try dragging Explorer out of Center and into a West region?

1 Like

I love these panels, so I definitely would love to see them come back. I am able to have things like the Toolbox, Asset Manager, and Rojo on the side and easily access them without them taking up a lot of screenspace. This also makes it possible to have plugin GUIs with quick actions in them without needing to have the full window visible at all times.

2 Likes

You can horizontal split North and South regions but yes your example is not possible with the current rules. We’ll take a look at the option to split West/East horizontal + vertical.

1 Like

No problem! Also in case it is useful, I was able to capture a screenshot of the error message as shown below:

For some context, I had exported an animation and then closed the animation editor. I then reopened it to update the animation and then this error occurred. I had also previously reopened the animation editor without exporting and the error did not occur so the issue may not be related to that. However, I am unsure as when I had previously reopened it without it crashing, I did not reload an animation and I had not previously exported an animation to roblox.

If it is relevant, the animation was also R15. I also animated a skinmesh character yesterday and did not experience the same issue; however, I am unable to recall if I reopened the animation editor.

1 Like

Okay, but seriously, thank you for removing this! I can actually set up my Studio windows the way I want them set up, and it’s a massive boon on lower resolution displays where space is at a premium. Please do not enforce any more minimum window sizes! (Unless it’s a small number explicitly to protect us from ourselves. I can understand that.)

2 Likes

Here is my layout as it should be:

Here is my layout each time I open studio. The windows drift off up and to the left more and more each time. The chat window hides and resets to it’s default position so it has to first be re-enabled and undocked before resizing it.

The black bars on the sides are because all of the monitors are different sizes.

1 Like

I try to make my plugins as compact as they can be, it just doesn’t work out sometimes. Of course it’s all the user’s fault if the widget gets too tiny, I couldn’t prepare the UI to be so small, they’ll have to just deal with it. That honestly mostly happens because if you can limit the minimal size, offset position becomes really really helpful with building it up.

1 Like

Yeah it would be crazy to expect a UI that works well within extreme dimensions. That’s all totally understandable. We also acknowledge we could provide things to make it easier to build more responsive UIs. We’ll figure it out together :slight_smile:

1 Like