Docking Updates [Full Release]

I’ve been using this since yesterday and it mostly seems stable! One issue I’m facing is that this plugin kept enabling itself in this position every time I enter Play/Run modes despite not having it open while editing

It’s now stopped appearing but I see a blank plugin window in that position for a split second around the time the default loading screen closes.

Hello, I am thrilled to see that we can now move the 3D viewport from its default location – it’s a fantastic update! However, like other users, I have noticed that your new system doesn’t support my preferred layout.

Here is my preferred layout:

I’ve observed that this layout is preferred by other users as well, so I hope adjustments can be made to accommodate it.

Nevertheless, I was hoping this update would address the issue of the unpleasant white line that appears between my two vertical screens.

I get this result when the scripts are in full screen, even on a horizontal screen and I find it to be a problem. In addition, I don’t see the scroll bars either, which can be annoying and probably what causes this problem.

I hope you can sort this out and ’m very happy to talk about t because it has been a persistent inconvenience for me over the years.

2 Likes

This layout update seems great, but I’d really appreciate it if we had the same freedom to resize docks as before!

I use an explorer searchbar plugin which I used to downsize to about 50 pixels in height, now the minimum is 125 making it occupy too much.

If this could be addressed I think this is a good update, collapsible docks not being present are also a nuisance but I can definitely live without them personally.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video! It looks like it started on the titlebar of the panel and then jumped when you first crossed into the second display?

2 Likes

Yeah so far that vertical split with an upper horizontal split is the one case the new rules doesn’t handle. We have ideas for this.

On your script panels, I assume both of those are floating/undocked and then maximized?

2 Likes

Native widget panels drifting on secondary displays on PC is unrelated to this update. Please follow along here for that one. I have been able to repro the issue today and we’ll be chasing it down.

1 Like

Can you link or share the name of the specific plugin you’re using here?

1 Like

Yes of course, thank you:

It’s similar to the new Explorer searchbar

2 Likes

Yes both of those are floating/undocked and maximized/full screen.

Little demonstration:

Thank you for your interest, it would be great if this problem could finally be fixed!

1 Like

The new update messed with my widget layout and I’m unable to readjust the way it used to be. Any plans to allow placement like I used to have it?

4 Likes

Yes we are working on some ideas for scenarios like this. We released this as Beta primarily to confirm it resolved corruption issues for those affected and to see what else we need to do — so thanks for taking the time to let us know!

3 Likes

Yep that’s correct (charsssss)

2 Likes

You are right, thank you !

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that’s the old/current docking system — the new system has cut way back on the splitting options… which is one part of the corruption issue we are trying to kill. Yesterday’s release of v605 knocked this particular Beta Feature off (even if you have it checked on). We are working on a hotfix ASAP to get this back on. :sad:

However! I still maintain the new docking system will support what you’re trying to do here. Also: your game UI looks really nice!

2 Likes

My layout doesn’t seem to save/load properly. It seems like all the pages on the east panel get separated into their own sections.

My preferred layout:

What happens when I reopen studio:

I believe I am stuck on the old docking system even though I have the beta feature enabled – according to recent replies, the output overlapping the west section was a quirk of the old system. Am I even using the new system??

2 Likes

For you and anyone else wondering why this feature doesn’t seem to be working:

3 Likes

I should probably learn to read

2 Likes

I just now started testing this, and it has some glaring issues at the moment.

In all fairness, I have a fairly specific layout, but I rely on everything I have in my layout.

Above is my regular layout that I develop with. I use most of everything in here for one purpose or another, and they’re all useful to me for their purpose.

Below is what this layout turns into every time I boot up studio.

This happens every single time I open up studio and I don’t very much appreciate having to replace everything every time.

In any case, I’m sure this will be fixed in due time and once that does I doubt I will take any issue with this update. I’m looking forward to seeing this update in a complete state since I have been impacted by layout corruption and for it to no longer be an issue is something I look forward to!

1 Like

Hello! The good news is that, at a glance, I don’t see anything about your preferred layout that the new system doesn’t support in it’s current form.

The bad news is I’m assuming you’re testing this out today and the new docking system got knocked completely off by yesterday’s Studio release. Even if you have the Beta Feature on, you don’t have it as of right now.

The less bad news is that we have the fix verified and it’s going through all the hoops of being pushed out as a hotfix.

3 Likes

Ah, got it! That clears things up. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I’ll have some more feedback once the update gets pushed! :smile:

2 Likes