Don't activate the new Lua Dragger in Play Solo

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to jump straight into a Play Solo session.

Every Play Solo session, the first thing I do is deactivate the “Select” tool.

To my understanding, nearly every developer is not using the Select tool in Play Solo the majority of the time. We use the Select (and other tools) in Edit and test the game (needing the game’s tools) in Play Solo unless we run into an issue that needs to investigated. The old dragger did not start activated in Play Solo.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because it would smooth out Play Solo testing by removing a click from the Play Solo process.

6 Likes

I’m not sure if this is related, but back in April I’ve filed a bug report that had a similar issue with the tools defaulting on, even when Lua Dragger wasn’t enabled. This has been happening for a lot longer than I remember (at least since half of 2019) so I’m not sure if it’s just a lua dragger specific problem at this point.

What exactly do you mean? Currently for me with the Lua Draggers beta no tool is selected in the main window after pressing “Play” or in the player view with a test Server + Player. When the problem occurs, if you click the Select tool again do you arrive at a state with no tool selected?

This is not intentional behavior, it’s a bug. I intend for it to work the same as it did before.

This is correct. If I click the Select tool, I can deactivate it.

Your response made me think that maybe this was caused by a plugin, and it is:

https://www.roblox.com/library/143383965/Build-v4

This plugin activates then deactivates its studio tool on creation. This causes Studio to activate the Select tool automatically.

So this is technically an issue with plugins and not an issue with the Lua dragger itself.

Still, it might be worth it for Roblox to not activate the Select tool on plugin tool deactivation on the first frame, since it’s never something users actually want. If users want Studio to select a tool on the first frame, they’d be using SelectRibbonTool explicitly.

2 Likes

I feel like that’s a bad idea. Adding a fragile one-off special case for that is likely to make someone very confused and unhappy at some point in the future.

I think a better solution is to contact the plugin author and ask them to fix it. I’ll send him a message. EDIT: I proposed a patch to the plugin code which should fix it.

1 Like