Dynamic Clouds should be reflected in water

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to take advantage of dynamic clouds when water is
present.

I’d love to implement a dynamic weather system that takes advantage of dynamic clouds to actively change the sky, but sadly, all it takes is for the player to look at the water and the effect is quickly broken, as clouds are NOT reflected at all.

Sky is clear, everything is reflected as expected!

This isn’t right! Clouds clearly affect the lighting of the whole world, but the water is 100% unaffected.

(No other changes to the world or the lighting were made, only the clouds were added.)

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because it would allow dynamic worlds to be more consistent and immersive.

Currently, the only way to have reflected clouds in the water is if they’re part of the skybox, but sadly, this means I cannot take advantage of the dynamic and procedural nature of dynamic clouds; I could use a mix of skybox clouds and dynamic clouds, but there would still be a great discrepancy between the sky and the water and also limit the weather conditions i can simulate. (No clear skies, clouds must match colours, completely clouded skies are still not shown in water, etc…)

Without dynamic clouds reflecting in water, my dynamic weather system just doesn’t look convincing enough on the ocean or other liquid surfaces, clouds are very important. I’d love this to be added, it’s a small but significant detail that boosts player immersion.

57 Likes

This appears to have been implemented. I’m still not sure if it was just a bug, but it doesn’t really matter anymore!

RobloxScreenShot20221101_193942792

2 Likes

Not a bug, just a feature they hadn’t yet added but is now released.

2 Likes

These new cloud water reflections make me hope that they make the clouds reflect on parts and meshparts as well. My game relies on smoothplastic parts with high reflection values to reflect the sky.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.