Dynamic Skies Are Getting Cloudy

You mind dropping the Flag name? I wanna grab some photos of my map.

I’ll edit the post with results.

4 Likes

it’s under CloudsSelfShadowHQ. definitely worth a look

22 Likes

This is great, but I really wish the sky’s colors would actually react to the sun’s position, and/or give us control over the color shifts that occur respective to clock time (you know, the blue and purple hues that appear)

2 Likes

I enabled the FFlag CloudsSelfShadowHQ and am noticing some very weird behavior. My game’s timecycle script (which I’m controlling with the Macro window) is intended to make the map dark during the night, and it’s doing some very weird stuff with the sky here when I move the window? It should stay dark, like how it is before the window is moved.

That is possible already by changing the color’s of the atmosphere depending on the time

1 Like

It’s not-you can change the color of haze and glare, but this does not affect the actual sky. Reference this:

There is no way to customize this behavior, no way to control these colors, no way to determine when the sun rises and sets, In fact, while the sun is rising, the entire sky changes color rather than the area around the sun, leaving a less than desirable and unrealistic appearance.

I.e. Once it hits 6 AM, the entire sky turns purple. Not just the sky in the East, but the entire sky is purple. Not only do I think purple is unrealistic for some regions, but the fact that it doesn’t respect where the sun is is a visual detriment to my game.

8 Likes

If you can set the shape of cloud by mesh and part and union,it’ll be amazing

3 Likes

The new shadows on the clouds make them look really realistic. Honestly a year ago I was mildly saddened, since I thought the final clouds would look like something from phase 1. My view on clouds has gone a 180. Seriously, good job. This is an amazing improvement, I cannot wait to see the next phase.

6 Likes

amazing names image

6 Likes

How do i add these clouds into studio?

2 Likes

Maybe the sample rate is set at a low value for the sunrays?

add the cloud object to terrain after you enable beta

1 Like

No,its because of spread which is basically noise.And sunrays upgrade is in the way,i think,As the new cloud got some suns rays.Its pretty invisible though

Though,It looks more like that roblox is implementing volumetric lightning,Not radial suns rays

2 Likes

Cant wait to see how much things we could do with this new tech it would definitely make roblox seem like unreal engine lol

2 Likes

With more fps lol (300 character)

Wonderful! There is actual clouds now that actually move, this is going to be great for a lot of games. Can’t wait to see developers use this feature

2 Likes

Hi! I am currently using this feature in my in-development game, and I have some feedback which you should consider:

• Add the option to choose the cloud thickness, this would really bring cool dynamics to clouds and games which involve flying planes.
  • Add the option to decide cloud height, the clouds are way too high up, it would help if this option existed.
  • Make clouds 3D, right now they are 2D as you cannot see them from above the clouds.

This is set to happened at phase 1c I think.

I am worried about the lower end devices because they might not be optimized for the 3D clouds even Though Roblox optimized them they might be too realistic for the lower end device to handle. They might be in every game. They can probably add a feature to toggle off clouds in game menu just incase that happens.

I’m pretty sure that just like sunrays, with low enough graphics, clouds will automatically be disabled.