Edit Escape Menu

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to edit or change the escape menu.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? - It would allow for further customisation, it is not necessary but it would be awesome if we could customise or create our own escape menus for our games.

52 Likes

I actually donā€™t agree with this one. Its very convenient to have a menu that is the same across roblox. I donā€™t want to have to figure out how the menu works at every new place.

23 Likes

the only part of the escape menu we can change is the Reset Character behaviour

the Help section of the menu makes no sense for games that have different controls

I agree we should be able to customize it a bit more but not too much

26 Likes

Mm, the purpose of having an escape menu in the first place is to have a consistent and easy to use method for doing the important stuffTM.

Not only this, but allowing it to be changed could cause issues with games not allowing players to leave, report, etc. through the menu.

3 Likes

An easy solution is to add a new menu tab to the coreUI call it ā€˜Gameā€™ or whatever and let devs have control of whats inside the main frame

18 Likes

Robloxā€™s vision for the TopBar and Hamburger-Access menu is to have something that is constant across all games. Likewise, it also protects certain core functions, such as reporting, that are protected for good reason.

1 Like

Well they donā€™t have to make it so we could remove those buttons, instead they could make them customisable as with the chat.

2 Likes

Hey there, In my opinion it should be added because Developerā€™s should be able to gain full access to the UI style of their game. In addition a modern hamburger menu doesnā€™t fit with a rpg menu. BUT developerā€™s shouldnā€™t be able to remove descendants from the escape menu. Otherwise scammers might abuse this feature for their own profits. (Deleting report and leave button etc.).

For example If I am trying to make a survival game and all of my UI is ready but the hamburger menu kinda ruins the whole UI Design. The missing UIā€™s can be checked while publishing the game.

2 Likes

This has too many loop holes. If you allow people to edit the buttons, then whats to stop them from making the buttons to leave and report impossibly small? I think the best idea would be to just allow developers to edit the color scheme of the menu and add new options, nothing else.

7 Likes

I personally feel like this should definitely be added. Iā€™m working on a game with a friend of mine and the ability to make custom pause menus would be insanely useful.

3 Likes

5 years later, still nothing.
This is my concept.

There would be something in the Explorer called ā€œPauseMenuā€. If you set the ā€œMenuModeā€ property to Custom, you could then select a ScreenGui in ā€œMenuUIā€.

If MenuMode is set to custom, the unimportant stuff would get removed. The RLR (Reset Character, Leave and Resume) buttons would be surrounded by a transparent, rounded frame. That would then put the stuff from the UI set in MenuUI into the ESC Menu. The RLR buttons would be on top of the UI set by the developer, so that he/she cannot block off the leave button.

About reportingā€¦ Wouldnā€™t a report button in the top right do the job well?

Oh my, this reply is long.

This is the overall result.
Without Report:

With Report:

Do you think this is a good idea?

17 Likes

That idea is awesome, but it does run into some issues. Developers can replicate most functionality in the Roblox Escape Menu, as Iā€™ve tried, but there are some things we canā€™t do. This means that UI, that cannot be ā€˜deletedā€™, must be included in this theoretical replacement of an escape menu.

Hereā€™s the pause menu in a game of mine:

Here's my notes:

Robloxā€™s ā€˜Peopleā€™ tab:

• The game is single-player and Iā€™m using a custom character. Obsolete.

Robloxā€™s ā€˜Helpā€™ tab:

• My ā€˜Controlsā€™ menu makes Robloxā€™s not-editable ā€˜Helpā€™ menu obsolete.

Robloxā€™s ā€˜Reportā€™ tab:

• Thereā€™s no need to report other players because itā€™s a single-player game. And, I canā€™t exactly make a system for reporting my own game. Also, players can report my game on the ā€˜landing pageā€™ of my game.

Robloxā€™s ā€˜Settingsā€™ tab:

• My ā€˜Optionsā€™ menu hosts various settings relevant to the game. The reasons someone would need to go to Roblox ā€˜Settingsā€™ menu, in my game, are to do the following:
    • Change ā€˜Experience Languageā€™, which I think I can program myself and make an option for.
    • Change ā€˜Camera Sens-ā€™, which I could do myself.
    • Change ā€˜Graphics modeā€™, which I can not do myself.
    • Change ā€˜Graphics Qualityā€™, which I can not do myself. However, thereā€™s a keybind for it.
    • Turn on ā€˜Performance Statsā€™, but this can be done with a keybind. Not sure if I can open this with code myself.
    • Turn on ā€˜Micro Profilerā€™, this does not have a keybind to my knowledge, and Iā€™m not sure if I can toggle it myself with code.

Robloxā€™s ā€˜Recordā€™ tab:

• I donā€™t have it implemented yet, but you can force players into screenshot UI already. This makes 50% of the ā€˜Recordā€™ tab obsolete.
  • You cannot force players into a recording UI, as of right now.

Other Stuff:

• I disabled the ā€˜Resetā€™ button, itā€™s obsolete.
  • I have my own ā€˜Leaveā€™ and ā€˜Resumeā€™ button, Robloxā€™s is some-what obsolete.

Iā€™ve researched this stuff quite a bit: Roblox Menu Remake | Answering: What can and can't developers do on Roblox?

I feel thereā€™s a solution, or multiple ones for different things, here other than stopping people from editing the Roblox Escape Menu.

Building on this idea, what if when you input a UI to replace the default pause menu within the PauseMenuService properties, it requires you to have a button named ā€œLeaveā€ or ā€œLeave Gameā€ or something in the UI. Similar to how Tools need a part within them named ā€œHandleā€ in order to work.

This would allow more customization and still prevent people from making ā€œUnleavableā€ games.

Also would need a few more checks to make sure the button is actually clickable. Like have minimum size requirements and not allowed for it to have visible set to false.

There are lots of issues with this idea but I felt itā€™s worth putting out there.

2 Likes

Very convenient for you but not the developer who wants to use the ESC key for something else or make their own menu that FITS their own theme.

Its better for all roblox players, a majority of which are younger kids. Imagine how easy it would be to trick a kid into giving up their account details, etc? They press escape but are taken to a fake escape menu, they think they leave the game and open a fake roblox page. Then they can be asked for their password, credit card number, name, address, or anything.

I can toatlly support being able to at least change the colors of the buttons, but really, theres too much of a security risk for anything else.

3 Likes

Actually never thought about people trying to do that, so yeah that is a pretty big security risk.

Maybe if this ever was a thing, to customize the Menu UI, maybe it would just be for like designing yk, making it look unique and appealing to the player.

But here is the thing, if Roblox gave permission to the developers to program their Menu UI, I feel like they would have to limit some things because of like you said, security risks.

For example, they would probably have to exclude things such as getting the playerā€™s userId. Also you mention address, name, number, password, and credit card. I am %100 sure that not even the dumbest person alive could do that while creating their custom Menu UI, after all itā€™s a menu, why would people want your name, credit card, id, etc. when your just tackling with the settings of the game? It isnā€™t possible to get anyones address in roblox either, im super sure of that. But still, customzing the Menu UI would be a great thing to be on the platform, and I wish Roblox could of done it any sooner.

2 Likes

So youā€™re under the assumption that every young kid is possibly a dumb idiot? Youā€™re pretty much acting as a backend developer. You do realise that this is Roblox, people already try to get children to give up account details and they soon realise thereā€™s nothing worth on their account to steal.

Also not sure how easy it is to manipulate a child when the Roblox Icon is still visible top left especially when most people who do try to hack children donā€™t have the mental capacity to create an accurate representation of the Roblox Login page inside Roblox Studio and script it at the same time.

This was insanely simple to make, and there are 100% ways to make it more convincing.

And youā€™re under the assumption that kids will actively choose to play sketchy new games that have a dislike rating of absolute 0, Roblox Support can also get your account back if you have proof of receipts from Robux purchases and multiple other stuff. You must also realise that children barely make up 60% of the player base and that is made up of only people under 13. 13+ users will have the mental capacity of not entering their sensitive information when the Roblox Icon is top left especially when youā€™re taught so at such a young age. Cyber security 101.

You can say these things all you want, the fact is, some people will be tricked if a system such as I described above was implemented. Itā€™s better just to lock it down, and make it standard across all roblox games.

1 Like