Effective way to learn how to script?

I really want to learn how to game make, but… I am not very good at scripting, so what can I do to learn roblox lua well? Usually I grab a free model, like a rotating part, look over the script and recreate it to learn new stuff, but that only goes so far

Example of the best I can do
    local scree = 0
local othervariable = 0
local message = Instance.new("Message")
message.Parent = game.Workspace
repeat
    othervariable = math.random (1,5)
    scree = scree + othervariable
    print (scree)
    wait()
until scree >= 50
message.Text = "We did it"
wait(2)

What did you master scripters out there use to learn roblox lua?

1 Like

I learned the basics of Roblox Lua scripting from PeasFactory’s beginner tutorials. After that, I learned better practices over time, mostly from the devforum and devhub.

I don’t recommend using free models to learn how to script, because those can use some pretty outdated methods.

I suggest you also check out the Roblox developer hub. It has lots of tutorials on how to get started with scripting and detailed documentation on the API.

This question has been asked countless times - you could search the devforum to find other ways to learn how to script

You can try learning from The Roblox Developer Hub and the official Lua 5.1 Reference Manual

Every time you learn something new in scripting, practice it so you can understand and retain the information. Looking at some free models’ code is a good practice.

I wouldn’t really recommend tutorials on YouTube, though PeasFactory is a good person to go ro, but you should only use the beginners tutorials as the rest are pretty outdated. You can look in the devforum, as it has resources you can learn from

2 Likes

I cannot stress this enough: Learn by doing it.

There’s a multitude of ways to learn how to code on Roblox. Too much for me to list. However, what I found best was going into free models and seeing how certain things worked. For example, a door that opens. After I figured out how it worked and why it did, I would optimize it to fit my needs.

After you do that, start off small and build your way up. Do not try to take a project that’s out of your skill set. It leads to burnout.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call myself an expert, but there many resources out there, many many videos, many articles, but not everyone learns the same and one resource could be more effective to someone else then it is to some one. I learned the best, by just jumping in studio and making something, even if I didn’t know how to do it. I had an idea and I just decided to run with it. For me the number two resources were the wiki and the Dev forum( looking through old posts, to get an understanding of something). The dev forum can be a reallly handy place not just to see problems get fixed but to see what others have created. You can think to yourself how this works than if you wanted to you could probably even try to re-create it and fix any problems along the way. Keep in mind people also learn at a different pace, so just, well, pace yourself. My final recommendation for you, is to just take an idea that you have , a game idea or just a random outrageous one and make it, if you have questions the dev forum is here and so is the wiki!

Just bottom line experiment, try stuff, even if you don’t know how to do it!

Please search before you post because this question has been asked many times before:

For more similar thread see: Search results for 'learn script' - Developer Forum | Roblox

The general thing that people say is to look at free model code and experiment with it. Try and edit parts of the code, try and re make the code or just experiment with parts of the code to figure out what each line does. This is the exact way I started out and the way a lot of people on here did.

While learning google is your best friend. Whenever I don’t understand something I do a quick google search and it either links me to a developers forum post a developers hub article. After doing a little bit of reading I usually learn something new. With the developers hub you should use that as much as you can for learning or revising API references. Whenever you come across something new that you don’t understand always do a quick search around.

Finally the best resource that I have found is this place, the developers forum. Just sitting around in the #help-and-feedback:scripting-support category reading or even participating in some of the discussions is very useful. Trying to participate in some of the discussion sometimes forces you to do some research on a topic you have never had much experience in before or even head of. While reading you will find that you pick up lots of new techniques and things to learn.

Something that really helped me get better at scripting is to have small little projects to make. For example when I first started out I wanted to be able to create my own custom chat commands system. I kept learning new things to then eventually make my own custom chat commands system.

3 Likes

This is from my past learning ad how I learned.

So, I started making games on ROBLOX because I wanted to, and I thought that I was so good at it until I found out about scripts. And I was like, ok, failed. Because I didn’t know how to script! I failed many times, but perseverance is key.

So, what did I do, I persevered, and I basically just tried and tried again. Now, this might sound like any other, but let me tell you. Once you got the basics, your scripting would become much better.

This is my journey in jot notes:

• Tried to make a game but realized I couldn’t (oof)
  • Copied tutorials(a lot of them, this kind of helped me understand some things like different functions)
  • Once, I got the basics, I discovered Developer forum(read a lot)
  • I asked many questions and someone led me to the Developer Hub
  • I found someone to help me on some difficulties by contacting them on discord (thank you @realhigbead)

Once you got the basics, you should go to the developer hub. Now, you may be asking, “What, it’s so complicated!” That’s what you would think at first, but, once you got into scripting, it would help a lot.

So, pretend you learned something new, such as, “UserInputService”. A service that detects the users’ input, you can go on the page on the developer hub. There you will see how to get the service, and what things can be done with it.

I know this sounds complicated, but once you’ve got the hang of it, then BAM, you got the rest of it.

To strengthen your self-esteem, I accomplished this is a mere 9 months(started in Febuary, 2019).

Closed as this question has been asked multiple times across various different topics. Will leave visible as good answers were provided.