Help me to learn scripting

Hello there, I am currently looking for a good way to learn LUA scripting and I am currently looking for someone who can recommend me tutorials, scripts to study, etc…

I’ve been wanting to start scripting for a while, and the idea is to see if anyone can help me while I learn too, so, any help is appreciated.

No Alvinblox tutorials, thanks.

6 Likes

I would recommend AlvixBlox or RIPPER0NI

1 Like

The best way to start… is to do it.
I know that sounds stupid, but it’s true. Once you think of an idea, try to make it. You’ll slowly start to figure things out, this may not be the best way, but it worked for me.

You can use YouTube, Scriptinghelpers, #resources:community-tutorials, #resources:community-resources and #resources:roblox-tutorials to help you along the way.

3 Likes

Totally not Alvinblox, he will spoon-feed code and you won’t understand anything from it

3 Likes

It helps if you are trying to do something, or you are needing to understand something.
Sure, spoon-feeding isn’t the best way to learn, but it keeps people motivated if they cannot figure out how to do a problem themselves.

Your kind of right. I am not a advanced programmer my self.

I wouldn’t really recommend tutorials, but you can watch Peaspod’s (PeasFactory’s) beginner tutorials as they are comprehensive, but not anything after that.

(https://developer.roblox.com)[The official Roblox Wiki] has beginner tutorials and you can learn from (https://lua.org)[the official Lua 5.1 reference manual]. You can look around on the developer forum and (https://scriptinghelpers.org)[ScriptingHelpers’ Website] for scripts and questions you might want to know

sorry for the bad format - I’ve been typing this on a mobile device

3 Likes

Actually, there are just similar threads to yours. Why not check them out first if you haven’t?

Above. Please search first before posting threads. This question has been posted countless times, at least once every week at this point (not to a T though).

https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=learn%20scripting%20category%3A55

The Developer Hub (use this to start) or the Lua Manual works well, but the best way to learn is by doing. Learn the syntax on the linked pages, then challenge yourself with the knowledge you just acquired. Learning to script is not all about reading, watching youtube videos, or looking at other scripts. You have to challenge yourself by doing new stuff. Even one new thing a day will grow your scripting knowledge after a period of time. Now, some days your going to get something that’s more complex than the rest of things. This is good even though it’s hard. Don’t push for one new thing a day. Instead, do one new thing every-time you learn (If you can learn one new thing a day, do so though).

I would highly not recommend depending on YouTube videos to learn. Most of them just cover the basics and nothing else. Look at Alvinblox, he has like three learn to script for beginner tutorial series’s. This is not a bad thing, but to get better, you need to look elsewhere. This is how I first learnt, (not from alvin blox) but I was learning slower than when I came across things like the dev hub and the lua manual.

If you get stuck, you can always ask a question here or on a place like scripting helpers linked by @Raretendoblox, but don’t rely on help to solve a problem. You will learn more trying to fix the problem yourself.

Here’s something to keep you motivated. Think of your dream game. Now think about all the details of what needs to be done. You might think you will never get there, but over time you will see that parts of your game become actual projects. If you keep at it, eventually, you will have the knowledge to build it! Don’t ever give up!

Hope this points you in the right direction!

zblox164

2 Likes

I just started on scripting and game design, i recomend you to search for free models and find scripts, and you can see inside of them what it contains and what maybe is for. And look some basic videos like statements, math, etc. Any video works. Did you know that i didn’t know how to move studio camera?

1 Like

I completely agree with you. I learnt most of my small coding knowledge from actually trying out codes from different tutorials and finding ways to use the elements from the code to create my own.

The best way is totally to just start scripting what you want with tutorials and resources and mold your knowledge so you know how it works then you can start doing it by yourself with a little help now and then though if you need.

1 Like

You can insert some free models and tamper with them. You can learn a lot things, I mean a l o t when doing this. Also youtube is here. Free tutorials are out there. And I HIGHLY recommend this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGS0WZgh3SE

Unfortunately, this channel was closed a long time ago.

I would recommend some of @DutchDeveloper’s (DutchDeveloper on Youtube) tutorials and @Peaspod’s (Peas Factory on YouTube) tutorials. Peaspod’s videos are a little bit old but he does an excellent job of explaining how stuff works.

The Lua manual is not at all intended for beginners. It says so on the manual page, too:

For a complete introduction to Lua programming, see the book Programming in Lua.

I would highly recommend following their advice and reading the online version of PiL instead.

2 Likes

I suggest @Alvin_Blox tutorials! They rock and teach do much!

1 Like

Apart from providing you sources to learn, in my honestest advice, scripting is a long term exercise. It takes a long time to learn and it won’t be a one-step step to master it. Just remember a rule in coding, “As long as it runs” is a horrible coding style. I might go a bit off-topic here, but apart from learning to code the basics, writing beautiful and organized code is really important. I used to learn the coding skills from different platforms such as DevForum, DevHub, Youtube etc. But I realise the importance of organized code after I briefly understand the basics of coding. It can be too late to understand at that time if you’re striving to develop a game on Roblox.

for the real basics i recomend @Alvin_Blox

1 Like