Egg Hunt 2019 Opportunity

I think @joritochip’s comment was on the massive amount of dislike for the 2015 egg hunt. I really wasn’t a fan of it and can’t imagine this to be any better. From what I personally saw, people didn’t like egg hunt 2015 since certain people wouldn’t be too fond of the way certain games play. By doing 40-50 games, everyone is bound to not like at least some games in the egg hunt, which makes me curious why they chose this direction despite 2017 and 2018 being big successes.

It’s important to note that I don’t doubt a lot of thought was put into this, and I’m sure all of this was considered. My only hope is that with this amount of games, there’s a team focused on making sure the way the different games incorporate things is actually fun. I feel like a lot of what ends up happening with these types of events is that some developers design really fun aspects for the event, while others do what seems like it could’ve been done in 2 hours (as it’s such a tiny addition to their game).

12 Likes

I feel like this is a way to allow a lot more devs to be included into one single egg hunt, but then again, the community will have mixed feelings about this.

The community always enjoys egg hunts that have places separate just for the egg hunt, and how 2015 went, not many people enjoyed the idea of that, like you stated.
This will be an interesting twist on the egg hunt don’t get me wrong, but will Roblox’s community enjoy this twist, or will they name it as Dev hunt 2: Remastered?

6 Likes

Just throwing my personal opinion out there at this point, but I wasn’t even fond of the style in 2016-2018 egg hunts (2017 was really fun though, as a game). Not because they were bad, but because it didn’t feel like i was hunting for eggs. Only in 2010 (or was it 2009? I don’t think 2009 had an egg hunt, and I wasn’t around for 2008 or 2012) 2013, and 2014 did I feel like I was doing an egg hunt rather than playing some random game. 2014 had its own issues, but that was only because universes were in a very early state.

I hope this egg hunt turns out to be fun somehow, but being honest my own hopes aren’t too high as I don’t trust 40-50 games to all capture the experience properly. If we go back to a single game in 2020, I really hope whatever team does it focuses strongly on making it an egg hunt, not just any fun game, though talk about the 2020 egg hunt is for next year.

I really don’t mean to discredit the work that was put into the recent egg hunts. It’s all good work, though this post is based on a lot of my own thoughts and opinions.

12 Likes

I think I’ve got a team working on a game already, which we may use as a game to submit for the 2019 Egg Hunt!!!

3 Likes

Its true. These egg hunts didn’t feel like you were looking for eggs, but rather just doing quests to receive egg shaped hates instead Though I liked the randomly spawning eggs from 2018 and the one egg from 2017, thank you for those! Also don’t get me wrong, I still loved the egg hunts and really enjoyed the outcome.

I’ll be positive about how 2019 will turn out, but I feel like having over 40-50 games could either help it feel fresh, or give it a turn for the worse.

Also on a side note:

This sorta scares me. Having a mix up of 2017-18 along with over 40-50 games does seem interesting at first, but i’m praying that there will be some eggs that will be randomly spawning, yet have creative ways to earn them, like the 707 padlock egg from 2011 Correct me if i’m wrong

6 Likes

Probably going to attempt to work on something for integrating twitter and discord. I would have a lot of fun with it if I can make use of both lua and web skills.

1 Like

Interesting choice to return to the 2015 formula, though I’m glad it will be more controlled through quests rather than (extreme) random (good ol’ Phantom of the Egg).

One thing, and probably mentioned by others:

How exactly will this be done? What about timezones? I can’t imagine you’re requiring kids to stay up in the night to gain entrance to one of these games.
On the other hand, given that the hub and the games will be separate universes, the entrance to the games will always be open by itself.

7 Likes

When does the team get started on the hub?
I’m interested, but I’m not sure if I can participate if it’s throughout college.

Edit: I could participate, but the time I’d have would be very limited.

2 Likes

I accidentally submitted a draft application, does the regular “latest application gets reviewed” apply?

As chewbaccca said

but I would highly not recommend it and Roblox will always choose a team of developers over a single developer for an event of this size. Just letting you know that even if this event isn’t as big as the past two years, things happen in real life and so on that will impact your ability to develop. This happens every event, family crisis, job insecurities in real life and so on and on, so for your own well being, apply with a team.

5 Likes

I interpreted it as if a team is incomplete or they want to construct their own team, individual applications can be useful in that situation.

4-5 months prior to April. So if you can’t work November/December to April then there is no reason to apply. You will be expected to work hard during that entire period depending on how much work is there. However do keep in mind that bug fixing and making sure that everything works for millions of users to pass through your game and so on takes a lot of time, so don’t underestimate how much work goes into this. I’m not trying to put you off from applying as working on an event like this can be one of the biggest and best things you have ever done (speaking from experience) but there is so much more to it than you first imagine. And I don’t want you to hit a wall from stress and lack of time to dedicate to studies, work(?), family, friends and then develop on this.

it is an amazing opportunity, but it has its price and when you sign the contract then you have given Roblox a written promise to deliver a product within a limited amount of time. Backing out shouldn’t be seen as an option.

3 Likes

I suppose they could put some applications on the side for potential further use but from my own experience in this, a team that is assembled by developers based on people they know and that they are able to function well with will almost always outshine a development team with star devs which get thrown together by Roblox.

Developing is more than just stacking parts and writing text in scripts after all, the social part needs to work as well since the devs will working together for 4-5 months. But you are probably right, there is a chance that applying alone will land you in some “potential devs” stack. Although sorting through that and all of that jazz is more work on Roblox’s end so unless they really don’t have another choice they most likely won’t look at it. So applying with a team will always be the best option.

3 Likes

Keep in mind that over 95% of the current player base has not experienced an event such as Egg Hunt 2013 (i.e. where all the eggs where basically lying around the map or with minor fetch quests, and a bunch of ones that were so rare that normal players could never obtain them). This may not be what the majority of the playerbase is interested in today.

If you are chosen for any of these opportunities you will have to satisfy all sorts of players that have different needs, wants and abilities with respect to gameplay and the egg rewards.

6 Likes

It is worth adding that keeping QA in mind early on is an advantage. Pulling a bit of extra weight in the start will leave you with more time to fix bugs towards the end and make changes so you don’t double your time similar to how you explained it. Even though that will most likely happen either way, it is always worth doing more at the start when you have more energy. :eyes:

5 Likes

Thank you for the information!

I’ll pass for this year, maybe in the future … :smirk:

2 Likes

The backlash against the “dev” egg hunts was a vocal minority who cared significantly about the event. I don’t think the majority of the playerbase really minds about how the event is structured as long as they get their egg prizes and it is fun to do so, especially when looking at current game trends. This is a step in the right direction :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree, but I just hope that those who disagree with how 2015 played out give it a chance.

1 Like

This is what I’m hoping the event will have. Allow some eggs to be quests, some that randomly spawn or have a smart way to earn them.

Lets hope that theres no eggs that have a very low chance of spawning and being unfair for most players.

Cough Phantom Egg.

3 Likes

That’s how I interpreted it too

2 Likes