Error Code 46 - Failure to Load Sound Without Any Website Indication

I’ve been experiencing an issue with a (new?) error code in Roblox.

Error Code 46 - This error seems to be triggered by some specific sounds. These sounds are not created by the ROBLOX user (to my knowledge) and there is no indication of any copyright issues, failure to load or bad requests on the website. However, when attempting to load them in game, it will come up with an error similar to the following:

(Failed to load sound rbxassetid://ID: error code 46)

Note: You can see in the comments of the audio below that multiple other games/players have been experiencing this issue (I have friends who are experiencing the same issue as well). Also keep in mind that there seems to be no indication of it being unable to load on the website.

(Hayloft - Mother Mother - Roblox)

I have seen other (recent) posts that involve this error. However, all of them have seemed to conclude with the same solution: using LogService to detect the error and skip to a new song. I cannot settle for this, as my issue is a bit more complicated. In a game that I have contributed to programming (Vibe NYC), we have the option to pay 50 Robux for a song request. This will add your song to a queue. With these specific sound IDs (such as the one mentioned above), Error Code 46 is triggered and the sound fails to load. This would normally break the music system. However, I have already implemented the LogService solution to skip to another song in this case.

TLDR: My issue is that people are paying to request some of these audio IDs and the sound is failing to load.

I’m not sure if there are any solutions to this, but I would appreciate it if anyone could share any knowledge that they might have, regarding this situation.

Thanks!

6 Likes

I’ve experienced this issue too in recent days. If possible, one workaround could be to check their audio ID (to make sure that it wouldn’t lead to an error code 46). If it leads to that error, then the game could notify the player that their audio will not work, and give them the opportunity to add another audio.

Roblox doesn’t allow you to load sounds with more than 2 channels anymore. The audio you linked looks like a copyright bypass audio and the hacky methods people used to make them got patched (afaik).

3 Likes

My Music Queue System also suffers from the same problem, I thought that with a pcall it would be fixed, but it was not like that, apparently it is an error that affects some people. This needs to be fixed!