Error: Exception while signaling: Must be a LuaSourceContainer

I’m getting this error that prints out sporadically, but I have no idea where it’s coming from. The error reads as follows:

Exception while signaling must be a LuaSourceContainer

There’s no script or line number associated with it. Does anyone know what causes this? I figure it has something to do with signaling. I do have multiple remote events that fire on a timed basis which are in different threads, so I’m wondering if there is some sort of conflict between the threads as they all use the same remote event. It happens in studio, but I haven’t seen it on the live server, yet.

4 Likes

Can you send a screenshot of the error? Try disabling random server/local scripts and check if the error still outputs.

1 Like

I get this same error too and I’ve been wondering why it happens. It seems to happen in different threads though, so I’m keeping an eye on that.

I’ve seen it on the server basically “bricking” my NPCs.

1 Like

@SomeFedoraGuy, @SubtotalAnt8185
After I restructured my code, the error has disappeared. The restructuring was combining functions of multiple threads into a single thread. So this seems to be an engine bug when there are multiple threads contending for the same event. The mechanics of this under the hood are quite complex, so I won’t go into details, but it seems to be a live lock situation.

I’m going to be filing an engine bug report.

4 Likes

Thank you for filing the bug report, but I reconstructed my code today and it didn’t seem to change anything, and I still got the error. I’m not sure if the main thread is still causing the error, but I do believe that an issue is happening with the main thread since it does stop unexpectedly when this error occurs.

1 Like

Yeah. After I restructured my code, it stopped for awhile. But I found out that it still happens, but not as much. It doesn’t stop the thread, but it does print out an error.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I’ll do further inspections on the behavior of the thread as I’m not sure if it’s completely stopping or not.

1 Like

Going off the error message, it seems that for some reason it thinks that whatever code it’s executing is not in a LuaSourceContainer object. I think it’s a bug in the LUA bytecode interpreter. I haven’t heard anything about the bug report yet. If someone has member status, they could post this in the engine bugs forum.

2 Likes

This is a software error within Studio itself, and should have no relevance to your scripts. Therefore, no issue should occur by receiving this error, and will only interfere with your Studio client, if at all.

2 Likes

The error is reported to stop threads and cause issues. I get it over 200 times each minute in my game.

1 Like

LuaSourceContainer refers to the RobloxStudio UI element that contains the source of the script you are currently making edits on. A DevForum Regular is required to make a thread in #bug-reports:studio-bugs, if one has not already been made.

1 Like

This is true. The thread stops when it tries to access the interface for whatever reason, but it seems to not do so in the main thread.

Though it does happen in the live game which is strange.

2 Likes

No, because I’ve seen this in the live game as well. So it’s something common to both Studio and the live game.

1 Like

Sorry for the bump, but what is the current status of this report? It’s been almost a year and it’s still occurring for me. There was recently another topic asking about this and it linked to this one, so I was just wondering.

1 Like

A lua source container is an object that holds a thread, not a ui element

1 Like

Nothing. However, I haven’t seen in lately so I don’t know if it was resolved or if there is still an issue.

1 Like

It is not resolved. I still get the issue often, and it has something to do with my AI.

(Different instances)

2 Likes

Same here. It happens to my NPC controllers actually in three of my games which are both very different systems.

1 Like

I tried cutting out unneeded threads and connecting less events and it’s seemed to have stopped for now. It’s such an annoying issue though and I hope Roblox gets around to fixing it…

1 Like

In my experience, the problem seems to be connected to remote events. What type of events did you get rid of?

1 Like