Experience Guidelines: Age Recommendations & Parental Controls

Sorry if this question is dumb, but are you guys planning to add 18+ option?

1 Like

Please tell me how to change the age recommendations.

You can update it at the Creator Dashboard.

This is a really great addon for Roblox, but Iā€™ve seen huge player drops on a few games. Roblox moderation needs to make sure it has the correct age limit

1 Like

I love this change! In addition to making the platform safer for younger players and parents, itā€™s a major step towards making the platform more appealing to users over the age of 13.

In the future could it be possible for developers to recommend their games to older audiences (or place their game in higher age sorts when theyā€™re added), even if their game is actually appropriate for younger audiences? For example, I have an educational game thatā€™s perfectly appropriate for all ages, but I think itā€™d be better if I could make it an ages 9+ game anyways because I donā€™t think players younger than that would understand or enjoy it as much.

4 Likes

I donā€™t believe Roblox intends to add an 18+ sort in the future. I do remember at RDC 2018 they mentioned the possibility of a 17+ age sort, though. 17+ games could be allowed to include more realistic violence and perhaps even stronger language, but not any sort of NSFW or adult-only content or references to illegal substances. Iā€™m not sure if there are still plans to add such a 17+ age rating at this time.

Edit: Roblox staff has mentioned in this thread that they do plan on eventually adding a 17+ option

3 Likes

Iā€™m happy they taking steps towards players safety.

2 Likes

Regarding my previous post, donā€™t know if this is available to accounts without an email/phone number but Iā€™ve found a solution:

Go into Settings and then look for ā€œParental Controls.ā€ Hope this helps someone!

2 Likes

Bingo. Itā€™s a matter of liability.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s an issue with the question at this time.
Even if I change from YES on all questions to NO
Itā€™s still stuck on 13+.

1 Like

Ah thatā€™s weird, mine is already on 13! Hmm.

Does this mean that if my game doesnā€™t have guidelines, it can now have mild swearing? That could be interesting.

1 Like

I guess 9 - 12 y/oā€™s canā€™t handle that, lol

Interesting, you could probably remake a Netflix show in Roblox after that.

The big problem with parental controls is that kids can just make a new account themselves, being able to set their age as over 13, and play 13+ games, use voicechat (if they continue with that phone number thing), etc.

I doubt Roblox would add a feature that would break their own guidelines lol

3 Likes

Okay, but at the moment, only popular games can fill out the questionnaire to set this setting

1 Like

This looks like a good update, but there are a lot of users who put their birthday date wrongly, and that means that games will get less players.

3 Likes

I am so excited for this feature rolling out, this is going to really help grab the age base I want for my game, thanks Roblox!

2 Likes

Are we going to get an API to check the gameā€™s age rating from within the game?

Excellent.
I welcome the implementation of established guidelines.
Parents should be able to make informed decisions about content more readily.

Perhaps, somewhat strangely, under this system, a Battle Royale game with lingering ragdolls might be considered 13+, while an alternate form without lingering ragdolls might pass as 9+?
I wonder if this doesnā€™t increase the prevalence of more realistic blood effects, for a Battle Royale type game, which might lean upward in rating for featuring FREQUENT weaponized humanoid combat anyway.
If your highest age-rating is 13+, I suppose that simplifies the rating of games that feature humanoid combat PRIMARILY?
What does any game featuring the endorsed Weapons Kit default to for rating?
How do the ratings for your Battle Royal demos change with the inclusion of lingering ragdolls?

Although I answered in the affirmative for those sample places, I hadnā€™t added blood-based effects for any of my relevant combat sample places yet, as I was leaning more toward toonish type scuff-marks / criss-cross-marking.
Maybe Iā€™m just forcing my content featuring humanoid combat toward higher ratings.
Is there some system that allows for the enforcement of variable settings whereby some of the blood effects or ragdoll decay times can be changed in-game?

1 Like

Firstly, they canā€™t get sued if you willingly created an account and accept their terms. Iā€™m almost certain that the terms of service cover their bases well. Secondly, in the eyes of public opinion (media), the company is always at fault. It may or may not be the childā€™s fault but, the company will always be at fault. Look into any issue that Roblox has had in terms of age restrictions. Parents are the first people to not accept blame and go straight to the media. Itā€™s never the developer. Itā€™s never the child. Itā€™s always the company.

Your first point assumes that any child is truthful. Which canā€™t actually be verified because Roblox has no real way to verify an age that does not have an ID nor would any parent give that up to a corporation. The second point assumes that the child will report the game instead of playing it. Which again, is almost never the case. Kids donā€™t really care about good and bad. They care about what their friends play and find every possible way to accomplish that. An age rating gives kids the opportunity & reason to create a new account under a new birthday. Weā€™ve all done it at some point to get around the chat filter. What makes this any different?

All these points are rather moot.

2 Likes