Experience Guidelines: Age Recommendations & Parental Controls

Roblox may not go along with Nudity, but what he means is Mature games, which will in fact be happening.

Some AAA+ Mature games also do include nudity. It is up to Roblox to decide whether they want to be able to include that for mature games. Anything beyond just nudity is AO or an Adult game.

And yes, swearing will be allowed for 18+ players and in voice chat. Check RDC.

7 Likes

this is the same as my game lol
Good thing i quit the game since no more players

1 Like

well, as of right now, 55% of all users on Roblox are over the age of 13. It isn’t as big of a stretch to go from a teenagers’ game to a game for adults than for a children’s game to do the same.

1 Like

I don’t know how to feel about this I just came back from a long break from roblox and I hop on a game and what the- I agree this is a big step into player safety and this gives developers more freedom with things not suitable for everyone. However, some games player counts have went :chart_with_downwards_trend:. So on one hand I love this on the other hand it has kind of reduced player count.

1 Like

It’s a great addition, and a higher age bracket than 13+ would be nice as well. Although, this is far from a reasonably quick change to suit the platform. This should have been made years ago while developers were reporting moderation actions to their account based on violence in their experiences which exist in other popular experiences.

If anything, not letting the people who develop content on your platform that is targeting children make games without explicit guidelines and consistently weighted rules applied to everyone is extremely distasteful. Allowing games to create paid for player points for public game page leaderboards just to patch it late(removing the mechanic), then allowing non-disclosed gambling mechanics/loot boxes exist just to patch it late (forcing display of % and new rules on use of premium currency), to now attempting to finally show kids what kids should see by actually giving developers a guide.

It’s already happened a long time ago without Roblox’s consent. Many users misuse the platform and it isn’t going to change as long as it’s possible to just make an alt to avoid bans. They’ll always exist, so the best thing to do is accept it and give them a place on the platform somewhere else, just make sure that it’s not available to anyone under 18.

1 Like

You don’t have to worry about people abusing it, if they decide they want to see that then its their fault for creating an account that old in the first place and choosing to play a game knowing that it is for older people. Developers shouldn’t be liable for other peoples choices

2 Likes

verify your id and you’ll have the age updated
sry didn’t know it was a 13+ feature

You can only verify your ID if your account birthday is 13+

1 Like

I never said they would not be happening, I was just pointing out how odd it is for nudity to be on Roblox, not adult games.

@T0xicDarkn3ss As I just clarified above, not against the adult thing at all. I agree it is not a big stretch to go to adult games, however where is there a need for nudity on Roblox

@AimiAmano Horny 12 year olds making (DONT PLAY 18+ SIMULATOR 2022) games or people bypassing animation filters on hangouts to expose kids to nudity and sexual acts is not a valid reason for Roblox to add a NSFW section…

You’re misrepresenting the issue. The issue is that we already have genuine p### games floating around Roblox. They get taken down quickly, but they go back up under another account just as fast. I don’t approve of them, but they’re always going to exist, as it’s genuinely impossible to prevent someone from simply reuploading on an alt.

It is not a “single edgy kid making some 18+ simulator” issue, it is a real thing which already exists and harms Roblox’s reputation among other things.

However, by doing something like having them only visible to 18+ users and putting them only in a special section rather than just on the front page or just making them plain undiscoverable except via the link, it minimizes the amount of children that see it and also reduces the harm to Roblox’s reputation. Also, it genuinely is not Roblox’s fault if some child sets their age to 18, that’s considered the parent’s responsibility, as Roblox has no real way of knowing their actual age besides identity verification, which not everyone can do.

Additionally, it will have to exist at some point. If Roblox is serious about their metaverse goal, this is something that isn’t an option, especially as the Roblox community becomes older. A metaverse must include everything, and this is part of that, for better or for worse. At the moment, it might not be the best timing for something along those lines, but it will be happening in the future.

That’s a huge step towards supporting mature audiences, that’s something I’ve been wishing for a very long time, I’m very glad about it. Another good implementation would be sorting experiences by age and genre, so people can easily find the kind of experience that suits them.

I’m just excited for the 18+ rating haha /j

Both BedWars 🔥 [ARES + 3x XP!] - Roblox and Bakon [EVENT 🛸] - Roblox claim they have no violence but that isn’t true. How do people report incorrectly rated games and what happens to them? This update is great but absolutely useless if developers lie about their age rating.

2 Likes

They may not have lied, if you have infrequent and mild violence but no blood then it doesn’t get restricted and goes to all ages. Not sure about Bakon though as it might contain some blood and I haven’t checked.

1 Like

Good point, but then it would say All Ages Violence (Mild/Infrequent) like Jailbreak - Roblox.

BedWars 🔥 [1 DAY!] - Roblox and Bakon [EVENT 🛸] - Roblox both say All Ages Suitable for everyone aka no violence or blood (which isnt true).

4 Likes

Sorry for not clarifying my reply enough, but what I meant by “adult games” was extreme, non-restricted violence. I personally have no intentions on wanting Roblox to implement nudity; I only replied since the original commentor said that it is too big of a stretch to have adult games on Roblox.

1 Like

Hello developers,

We’d like to share a quick reminder and some additional information around moderating Experience Guidelines.

It’s very important that you accurately fill out the Questionnaire because we rely on the information you provide us to generate accurate Guidelines. As we expand this feature across the platform, we want to make sure that your experience is shared with users who will enjoy it and that it will be available to the largest audience possible.

We will occasionally review the generated Guidelines of an experience to ensure their accuracy. If we discover a discrepancy between your submission and the content in your experience, we will notify you and remove the Guidelines from the experience. Experiences without Guidelines are treated as having the highest Age Recommendation “Ages 13+”.

Here’s an example of what you would see if your Guidelines do not match the content of your experience:

Example screenshot of a notification in Messages of Guidelines moderation updates

Please review your experience and retake the questionnaire as soon as possible. Our goal is to work with you through this to make sure that the generated Guidelines match the content within your experience, but note that intentionally misrepresenting your experience may lead to moderation consequences.

If the generated age recommendation does not match your intended audience, you can adjust the content in your experience so it is appropriate for your target audience. For example, you could make use of our Policy APIs to dynamically tailor the content within your experience.

Your participation not only helps make Roblox safer for everyone but also lays a strong foundation to enable you to build more ambitious and mature content on the platform.

Thank you.

8 Likes

I think it’s a good tool for parents and for us as developers, but the downside is that our player base will be reduced.

This feature is good if ‘‘Change Age’’ option will work for under 13 users because somehow my real account is mistakenly under 13 and can’t change because due to COPPA policies, like seriously give us the option to change our birthdate under 13 in a specific way.

1 Like