Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

I don’t even know where to start with this. So much to unpack.
This is one of, if not the most unnecessary and awful change I’ve ever seen on the whole platform, and that says a lot given how bad and counterproductive some other updates have been in the past.

First of all, a 1 week notice for a change as big as this is simply ridiculous. And even with a longer notice, this update still makes absolutely no sense and is only going to cause more harm than good.

From a player’s perspective, having a purchase prompt shoved down my throat every 2 seconds is going to drive me mad and make me stop playing. No matter what the game is. If I play a game I want to enjoy it, not to spend more time staring at (and closing) purchase prompts than actually playing the game.
Always from a player’s perspective, if I had no robux it’d almost feel taunting to keep getting purchase prompts for items I can’t even afford.

From a developer’s perspective, we’ll have to rush these changes into any of our games, fully knowing it’ll ruin our games and/or drive players away.
Whether it be because the game can no longer use many assets, thus rendering the game pretty much unplayable, or because the user will get frustrated from having purchase prompts shoved in their face every few seconds doesn’t matter. In the end the players are still going to be annoyed and likely going to stop playing very quickly.

This is going to have a huge hit on developers, their games, and their earnings. And same goes for UGC creators and their assets.
You do realise many of these people literally make a living off of their games or UGC assets right? This could put quite a few of them in a pretty tight spot.
This is also going to have a huge hit on the player base. Again, like I said earlier, as a player I would NOT want to see my screen covered by purchase prompts every few seconds when I’m just trying to play a game and have fun.

9 Likes

Yup, they got ratio’d so badly.

2 Likes

In fact, these benefits literally NOBODY.

No UGC creators would even bother if a game has their asset inside.
Even if they do care, just file a roblox support! Or message the dev team to take it down!

11 Likes

make all popular classic face went onsale is next for you

but add “turn off animation heads” for people make ugc 2d dynamic faces

roblox not allowed ugc creator make 2d faces was mistake

3 Likes

This is absolute bullshit, at this point.

You guys are TERRIBLY disconnected from the community, and for a lack of better words, you guys have lost your common sense when it comes to updates.

I don’t want to have a purchase prompt shoved in my face every time I play a game, and I want to be able to use UGC items in my games without owning them, what even is wrong with that? I’m not trying to sell someone elses items.

This is overall just another garbage/shitty/trash update that does NOT help or benefit developers at all.

I quite frankly do not care if I sound harsh, I’m sick of updates like these.

15 Likes

The solution to protect intellectual property (IP) in experiences using Marketplace Items is a rather simple one.

In 2021, Roblox has introduced the Catalog Item Confirguration Options which provided an additional option in the item configuration panel for creators of these items to determine where their items can be sold, whether it’s in the Avatar Shop and All Places, Avatar Shop and My Places or Avatar Shop only.

Therefore, the ideal solution to protect the creator’s IP should be that if a Marketplace Item has its configuration set to allow the item to be sold in the Avatar Shop and All Places then it should automatically be considered allowed to be used in experiences in a fair way. Experience developers should then prompt the affiliate sale out of good gesture where it makes sense rather than being obliged to prompt it there and then at the cost of diminishing the user’s experience.

I also find it ridiculous that Roblox is considering it a violation to use “Roblox IP” or “off-sale” items, why’s that? The use of “Roblox IP” in experiences whether “off-sale” or not is still of benefit to Roblox as far as I’m concerned.

(reposted because it was moved)

7 Likes

This can literally be solved by making a forum for ugc creators to strike people instead of literally having millions of game impacted because of “respecting ugc creators”.

In fact most ugc “creators” are just copy and paste now, look at the catalog. A single cube gets thousands of sales.

Roblox, a multi billion dollar company doesn’t have enough moderators to moderate the catalog??

What’s next, banning games that has map with spheres inside because a ugc creator uploaded the default blender spheres??

13 Likes

Nope, not a good idea. DON’T even consider this update. :-1: :-1: :-1: :-1:

6 Likes

GEAR Example Solution: Instead of everyone has to update or remove the Radio gear from their games Roblox could just update it and make the radio gear so that we cant insert random audios and can only play the official audios of Roblox and they could bring it back onsale with this change. So many famous games have the Radio gear, and for the few other off-sale gears they took off sale for good reasons, they could just rework or completly change them to something different.

UGC Example Solution: UGC Creators could have a setting in the configuration of every item so they set it to Copy Allowed or Copy not allowed.

And what about Statues of top 3 players from leaderboards…?

I POSTED THIS REPLY AFTER THEY PAUSED THE POLICY UPDATE

Edit: By the few other gears i mean for example the “Historic ‘Timmy’ Gun” and the others that they took off-sale recently for child-friendly reasons.

2 Likes

Have you thought about, not rolling it out? no way such a blatantly bad idea had that much monetary backing that you can’t just cancel it.

8 Likes

if roblox truly cared about us and our feedback, they would cancel the policy entirely, re-evaluate the positions of the people making decisions like these, and then apologize and never do anything of the sort again.

if you ask me, i think they’ll just enforce this policy anyway in a months time and make it everybody elses problem. catalog games will be banned, classics such as swordfighting games or brickbattle games will also inevitably be banned. games doing as little as using roblox assets ( faces especially ), which have been available for public use for literal decades will also be banned.

but you know, it’s all for the community and protecting developer IP, am i right?

8 Likes

I really disagree with this new update,So My catalog avatar in my roleplay game is breaking the rules right? because it has 2D faces!.I hate this new update ROBLOX should add a voting to let people vote and tell ROBLOX if we agree with this new update or not.

I disagree.

5 Likes

It’s not as if they don’t fully care about us. From my understanding they just want this policy in order to licence their own assets. They basically make their own stuff copyrighted now.

It’s important to say that in this case It’s only about items players wear! You still can use any assets for decorating or NPCs.

1 Like

npcs without face is like scp 3008 lmao.

3 Likes

Roblox I don’t know who got this idea or which team,but you need to focus on others things and not about this dumb idea…

3 Likes

Wrong, you still can use any faces for NPCs. But you can’t make it possible for a player to equip a face without having the ability to purchase it.

1 Like

I didn’t said anything about npc

1 Like

It might work who knows?

I hope roblox won’t update

2 Likes

This update is garbage, and encouraging players to snitch is even more garbage. I have some custom armor models that were made to be used in my game(s) and my game(s) ONLY, but someone could say they look like assets that are off the Marketplace and report my game, and I’d have to appeal a blatantly false accusation that resulted in a blatantly false moderation action

9 Likes

This is the probaly the worst update since the audio privacy thing. It’s really upsetting that these things are constantly being approved by your upper management without ANY involvement from the community. Please just realize that these stupid ideas will eventually destroy what is left of roblox development anyways

7 Likes