Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update

I really hope that Roblox realizes that this will litteraly ruin more than half of games and revert this change.

4 Likes

At this point they’re just ASKING to die out.

3 Likes

I think i’m just gonna fix pc’s instead of develop games now. Between this and Unity. I really don’t have any good game making engines anymore

2 Likes

Godot is great also UE5.

word limit

9 Likes

It seems the people who make these decisions have no connection with the community or developers whatsoever. They’ve probably never even played a game (oh sorry, experience), let alone talked to a developer. There’s a reason the first reply has almost 22 times the amount of likes that the post itself has.

Is this funny to you all or something?

Your executives and higher-ups need to get it through your heads that users and developers alike don’t want useless, pointless “updates” that ruin things for no reason. It’s honestly pathetic.

Stop it.

17 Likes

this update is absolutely going to make or break (with no chance of “making”) roblox’s viability as a platform. the timing with Unity is hilariously bad too

5 Likes

does this update also apply to npcs?

2 Likes

it will apply to npcs if it has a face

2 Likes

Since my post got unrightfully removed as well, I will completely second this.
Let me also add for point 1 that that makes point 5 kinda irrelevant. Any game that is no longer updated will only have used Roblox assets, which really should, without any doubt, be able to be freely used.

4 Likes

So now games like Piggy can be banned because of offsale items?

3 Likes

indeed.
this was discussed in one of the videos.
it would hurt many creators and yet the only thing we get is rollout pause.

2 Likes

Me after adding a blank dummy with smiley face to my game.

“Account Deleted”

9 Likes

I don’t even know where to start with this. So much to unpack.
This is one of, if not the most unnecessary and awful change I’ve ever seen on the whole platform, and that says a lot given how bad and counterproductive some other updates have been in the past.

First of all, a 1 week notice for a change as big as this is simply ridiculous. And even with a longer notice, this update still makes absolutely no sense and is only going to cause more harm than good.

From a player’s perspective, having a purchase prompt shoved down my throat every 2 seconds is going to drive me mad and make me stop playing. No matter what the game is. If I play a game I want to enjoy it, not to spend more time staring at (and closing) purchase prompts than actually playing the game.
Always from a player’s perspective, if I had no robux it’d almost feel taunting to keep getting purchase prompts for items I can’t even afford.

From a developer’s perspective, we’ll have to rush these changes into any of our games, fully knowing it’ll ruin our games and/or drive players away.
Whether it be because the game can no longer use many assets, thus rendering the game pretty much unplayable, or because the user will get frustrated from having purchase prompts shoved in their face every few seconds doesn’t matter. In the end the players are still going to be annoyed and likely going to stop playing very quickly.

This is going to have a huge hit on developers, their games, and their earnings. And same goes for UGC creators and their assets.
You do realise many of these people literally make a living off of their games or UGC assets right? This could put quite a few of them in a pretty tight spot.
This is also going to have a huge hit on the player base. Again, like I said earlier, as a player I would NOT want to see my screen covered by purchase prompts every few seconds when I’m just trying to play a game and have fun.

9 Likes

Yup, they got ratio’d so badly.

2 Likes

In fact, these benefits literally NOBODY.

No UGC creators would even bother if a game has their asset inside.
Even if they do care, just file a roblox support! Or message the dev team to take it down!

11 Likes

make all popular classic face went onsale is next for you

but add “turn off animation heads” for people make ugc 2d dynamic faces

roblox not allowed ugc creator make 2d faces was mistake

3 Likes

This is absolute bullshit, at this point.

You guys are TERRIBLY disconnected from the community, and for a lack of better words, you guys have lost your common sense when it comes to updates.

I don’t want to have a purchase prompt shoved in my face every time I play a game, and I want to be able to use UGC items in my games without owning them, what even is wrong with that? I’m not trying to sell someone elses items.

This is overall just another garbage/shitty/trash update that does NOT help or benefit developers at all.

I quite frankly do not care if I sound harsh, I’m sick of updates like these.

15 Likes

The solution to protect intellectual property (IP) in experiences using Marketplace Items is a rather simple one.

In 2021, Roblox has introduced the Catalog Item Confirguration Options which provided an additional option in the item configuration panel for creators of these items to determine where their items can be sold, whether it’s in the Avatar Shop and All Places, Avatar Shop and My Places or Avatar Shop only.

Therefore, the ideal solution to protect the creator’s IP should be that if a Marketplace Item has its configuration set to allow the item to be sold in the Avatar Shop and All Places then it should automatically be considered allowed to be used in experiences in a fair way. Experience developers should then prompt the affiliate sale out of good gesture where it makes sense rather than being obliged to prompt it there and then at the cost of diminishing the user’s experience.

I also find it ridiculous that Roblox is considering it a violation to use “Roblox IP” or “off-sale” items, why’s that? The use of “Roblox IP” in experiences whether “off-sale” or not is still of benefit to Roblox as far as I’m concerned.

(reposted because it was moved)

7 Likes

This can literally be solved by making a forum for ugc creators to strike people instead of literally having millions of game impacted because of “respecting ugc creators”.

In fact most ugc “creators” are just copy and paste now, look at the catalog. A single cube gets thousands of sales.

Roblox, a multi billion dollar company doesn’t have enough moderators to moderate the catalog??

What’s next, banning games that has map with spheres inside because a ugc creator uploaded the default blender spheres??

13 Likes

Nope, not a good idea. DON’T even consider this update. :-1: :-1: :-1: :-1:

6 Likes