Fast Uploading Times (e.g. Cloud based)

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to release updates quickly, especially when managing games with multiple experiences or large files, and when working with a less-than-optimal internet connection. This difficulty is compounded in emergency situations, where it can take up to 5 minutes to upload updates to multiple place files. The current system also makes it difficult to efficiently upload the same place file to several different places. For example, in my case, I need to upload the same file to 7 different places, which is both time-consuming and prone to causing disruptions during critical times.
grafik

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience significantly. Introducing a cloud uploading feature that could upload the current place file to multiple places (e.g. 7 places) quickly would save me considerable time—about 5 minutes with each update. Moreover, this would prevent the game from crashing or freezing for me during updates when I’m in-game and engaging with the community. Currently, I have to stay out of the game for a full 5 minutes during updates, which disrupts my interaction with players. With quicker uploads, I could publish updates seamlessly while continuing to interact with the community:

Explanation of the 7 Place Setup:

Our game consists of a main game and 6 subplaces: three for Ranked Lobbies and three for different gamemodes. This setup allows for targeted maintenance and updates without shutting down the entire game, as each subplace can be updated independently. Additionally, the lobby loads based on the specific subgame, and the round handler functions across all gamemodes, making it easier to manage and launch different gamemodes, but requiring multiple uploads under the current system.

Additional Notes:

I am aware that security measures would be necessary to prevent exploitation of such a feature. For example, the group owner could enable cloud uploading for an entire experience, including subplaces, rather than allowing uploads to multiple places simultaneously by default. Additionally, an optional setting could allow subplaces to load the entire data from the main place, reducing the need for independent updates.

2 Likes

Isn’t this already a thing via Open Cloud? Place Publishing | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

1 Like

Thanks for showing me this. I had no idea that this existed, so I need to take a closer look at it since it confuses me at first sight.

If it supports instant place overwrite and multi-place overwrite, then it might already fulfill my needs.

After looking into it further, I still prefer a solution integrated into the Roblox UI, as this process is fairly complicated and requires additional programs, plus some knowledge of another programming language to set up. Additionally, I’m not even sure if this would grant me nearly instant upload speeds, as it would likely still rely on my slow internet connection.

I think the bigger issue here is the fact that you need all 7 places to have the exact same content because the matchmaking system does not allow you to easily handle ranked lobbies and different game-modes; handling that underlying issue would solve this use-case albeit with some experience updates being required to adapt to said theoretical feature.

1 Like

I think this is an issue with your workflow and not something Roblox itself can fix. This is a really niche workflow that I’ve never seen before.

Personally I think what we have now with the open cloud is the best we’re gonna get. It’s the most
generalised solution and supports every workflow combined (including yours actually), plus it’s trivial to implement.

You can find an implementation you can modify to upload the same place to all subplaces here:

As for your internet connection, you could potentially invest into a VPS or server that runs the upload script for you instead of doing it locally. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your effort in explaining it!

When using “Publish to Roblox,” it generally takes 1-3 seconds and doesn’t cause any game crashes. However, when using “Publish to Roblox as,” it takes 20-30 seconds and is fully dependent on the internet connection, often leading to game session crashes. The time required also increases as we add more maps to our game.

I made the feature request because it should be possible to perform the “Publish to Roblox as” process via the Roblox cloud, allowing us to overwrite place A with place B without relying on my internet connection. It’s not a convenient solution to have to download additional programs and invest time and resources when this functionality could simply be integrated into Roblox.

The suggestion to select multiple places is secondary. The time to upload to, say, 7 places would already be 5-10 times shorter if overwrites/“Publish to” were instantaneous.