Faster Lua VM: Production test run, take 2

I think the obvious question from this is, if we’re releasing Luau, will all developers be getting a plate of Kalua pig when the test is over?

11 Likes

Just to help everyone out with the name :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Honestly can’t tell if this is even a joke or not

8 Likes

we should have “a luau” in RDC 2020 :sunglasses:

9 Likes

It’s not. They announced it at RDC and it’s on his Twitter.

5 Likes

This test run has once again caused issues with Hyptek’s admin system/AE (HYbRID) causing it to fail to load. Would it be possible to have the new VM disabled at the places listed in this post? Faster Lua VM: Production test run

During the last test run, in this game there were issues that resulted in some scripts failing to load on the client side. We have fixed that particular problem, and this time around no scripts fail to load on the client. The game seems to load and function fine? Please elaborate on what the issues are.

1 Like

This update seems nice, Can’t wait to see my game scripts run faster and smoother.
Also It’s obviously Lua uwu not l-wow… ( change my mind )

2 Likes

For those interested why its called Luau, I realized Arseny posted a tweet 2 days ago!

https://twitter.com/zeuxcg/status/1161101086314254336

2 Likes

It turns out a check was put in place to make sure it wasn’t running on the new VM to prevent the kicking issue stopping the whole thing from loading. It has now been tested without that check in place and I have been told everything works fine.

2 Likes

Given that Luau is now live on the client and server for all games, is it safe to assume that changing the flag in the Beta Features menu is now meaningless? I haven’t been flipping that switch on and I’m wondering if that’ll change anything at this stage in the game.

(I flipped it on just yesterday, contrary to what the text above says)

This checkbox affects Studio, and we’ve enabled the VM on Client/Server only for now.

2 Likes

Does this mean that if everything goes well you could say it’s shipped instantly or will there happen anything else before it’s fully released?

3 Likes

This isn’t my game. I’m posting it for the creator who isn’t able to.

This game has just recently been broken without any changes, and we’re thinking it’s related to the Lua VM. Is it possible to get it turned off?

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes

What was the name for the older Lua implementation?
EDIT: I’m an idiot lol

3 Likes

It broke :FireAllClients() the remoteevent just isn’t sending it anymore

1 Like

Do you have any details about what specifically is the problem?

Looks like the problem was caused by some obfuscation that the creator used. The name of the obfuscator is Ironbrew, if you need it.

Posting this here as it may be helpful to people who reported this as an issue:

Thank you zeuxcg, you awesome, awesome person. No more loop code refactoring for me.

11 Likes