Feedback on bumping rules for bug reports

Right now, the rules around bumping bug reports are as follows:

“bumping is against the rules, if a reply (from a user other then the post creator as you can edit your post) adds details to a bug report that were not included in the original bug report then it is permitted. Otherwise it is against the rules” - PilotGuy27 (Development Engagement Team)

Based on this set of rules, if I’ve submitted a bug report and it is ignored despite having all of the correct information, then there is no way to bring this back to the attention of Roblox engineers.

Personally, I submitted a clear bug report 4 months ago which was never addressed. While this isn’t an especially large issue, it’s disconcerting to know that we’re having a policy which prevents users from surfacing bugs to the staff.

Why is there no approved method to bump bug reports which haven’t received a response from Roblox staff?

5 Likes

All bug reports are accounted for when posted. Bumping of topics isn’t permitted because it may throw off Roblox engineers when they’re trying to find a new current issue. Your topic was created 4 months ago, it’s likely that the issue was resolved.

Your topic was created 4 months ago, it’s likely that the issue was resolved.

This is incorrect. It takes around 10 seconds to validate that the issue wasn’t resolved.

All bug reports are accounted for when posted. Bumping of topics isn’t permitted because it may throw off Roblox engineers when they’re trying to find a new current issue.

If this is true, then why are some bugs being ignored for around half a year or longer? If it’s just because of prioritization and the devs are legitimately tracking the bugs, then having a priority list or an acknowledgement post from a dev saying, “We’ve added this to the backlog” could be nice

It may be on your end. Big reports that tend to have way more replies, likes, and replication tend to be resolved.

It may be on your end. Big reports that tend to have way more replies, likes, and replication tend to be resolved.

I’m not sure how this is relevant to the thread. There isn’t an issue on my end. There is an issue on Roblox’s website.

The goal of this thread is to discuss bumping restrictions and unresolved bug reports.

1 Like

I am just giving my guesses on the matter. I suggest you try replying to the thread with more details about your issue popping up and see if that helps resolve anything. If it doesn’t, contact Roblox Support.

I’d suggest creating a new topic instead of bumping. The conditions might’ve changed in the 4 months.

I’d suggest creating a new topic instead of bumping. The conditions might’ve changed in the 4 months.

In the situation that I referenced, there was absolutely no change in conditions. The post was never addressed by the engineering team and the bug continues.

For those cases, I’m providing the feedback that we should have a mechanism as a community to bump these sort of posts, as they explicitly said it is against the rules to repost a bug report

There has to have been a mistake from the staff. I have bumped my old feature requests/bug reports a few times and it doesn’t get flagged.

The rules dont’ say you can’t bump your own posts.

I had a large conversation with @PilotGuy27 and @Pirate_Treasure. They were both firm on this point.

There is also an official message from the Roblox account sent when you bump a topic instructing you “Do not bump topics and do not post duplicate topics either”

/shrug

considering you pinged them they will be notified, perhaps they should shed some light on this because now i am questioning myself whether or not i should do this/how i should do this. seems weird

Bumping posts is a very obscure part of the guidelines. Since you can add more information to a topic without replying, I guess you aren’t allowed to reply to your own topic just to get more views. But adding more information can also be considered as “bumping”, so I’m not sure.

I also made a bug report almost like 7 months ago. It still happening and no one cared about it, so your case isn’t unique.

If you add use case and motivation, that’s not inappropriate bumping. The rule is meant to avoid simple “this is still happening” bump posts. Add a use case or motivation on how it’s blocking your development and you’re totally fine to post to whatever old unresolved topic.

1 Like

To my knowledge of a bug report has not been dealt with in a year or two / is marked as solved and is still occurring it is perfectly valid to still bump and state that the problem is still occurring, as for the first use case I guess this could now be invalid since I have noticed DET checking if bugs still occur.

Regardless if a bug report is marked as solved and still is occurring I believe it is the right thing to do to bump the post in contrast to making a new one so long as you are certain the issue is the same

4 Likes

I think my larger issue with this is that it’s really discouraging to report a bug and have it completely ignored with no responses from the Roblox staff for multiple months. Clearly if I don’t bump the post, it’s literally never going to be addressed, and what that means is that I devoted my time to documenting a bug just for it to be lost.

I think the current system is built around some “luck of the draw” for when you happened to report so that a bug gets fixed or ignored based on the amount of bugs reported in some period of time.

One of two things is happening:

1. The engineering team is legitimately tracking some bugs in some invisible backlog
  2. The engineering team is not tracking these bugs

If they’re doing the former, it’d be nice to have some visibility so that at least I can know the engineering team read my post, acknowledged the bug, and added it to a backlog.

If they’re doing the latter, then it’s a bad policy to be against “this is still happening” bump posts, because there’s also a rule against duplicate posts. This is essentially a rule which instructs us to allow a bug to continue and let the bug report get lost

To my knowledge of a bug report has not been dealt with in a year or two / is marked as solved and is still occurring it is perfectly valid to still bump and state that the problem is still occurring, as for the first use case I guess this could now be invalid since I have noticed DET checking if bugs still occur.

This is what I’m advocating for, but the Roblox Staff is explicitly telling us this is against the rules and deleting bumps to posts like this.

Basically the problem is that staff are notified when a new topic is created, not when you bump it. So while bumping might give some satisfaction that it’s back at the top of the page, it basically does nothing, so unless it adds backing to the bug report / feature request it’s kinda pointless. A staff member would need to happen to see it be bumped and then raise it manually which is rare.

Also it’s hard to define a threshold for what kind of bumps are allowed and not. e.g. if everyone starts spamming up all of the old unresolved bug reports, that would get annoying and lose value really fast.

It’d be better if Roblox just used like count, view count, or some other metric on old posts to see which ones need more attention, rather than relying on post time filtering.

4 Likes

I feel like part of the solution here includes having a staff member respond to each bug report and acknowledge it as valid/invalid and add it to some sort of backlog.

This has two benefits:

1. No bug reports are lost, even if they’re less pressing
  2. Each user reporting a legitimate bug is at least acknowledged, which will encourage users to continue to report even the bugs with lower value

Basically the problem is that staff are notified when a new topic is created, not when you bump it.

With this in mind, it should be valid to recreate a bug report after N months (3, 6, …) if it hasn’t been addressed or acknowledged. I think modifying the policy to allow that sort of repost would be reasonable since I doubt the staff would go along with my suggestion of a public backlog or acknowledgement mechanism

2 Likes

Did bumping get turned on in response to this?

The topic in question: Gif on VectorForce page doesn't play

This seems like it would be really useful for the bug categories and #platform-feedback:developer-hub.

That was just something I did myself to see to also bring attention to the unaddressed DevHub category post.

I decided to bump that post, in particular, because it was made at a time where significantly fewer DevHub topics got responses, and if successful in getting a response, I was considering encouraging DevRel to use it for old topics in the category, and maybe branch out from there.

4 Likes