Feedback on my first game HOLDFAST!

Hey! I’m a solo developer and just finished my first game ever, which took 1.5 years (started it on September 2020 as soon as I learnt scripting). It’s a fighting game inspired by Mordhau and I added some “RPG” features and details. I’d really appreciate a feedback on it (you can expect bugs since I just released it), so I’d also suggest to play it with more than 1 player to find bugs (since some bugs can be present on PVP).

Right now I’m looking for bugs to fix so then I can advertise my game applying the economic guide to profitable game advertising to make sure it will be successful. What would you suggest instead for advertising?

I’d also like to get some feedback on the GFX (made by @talha19) I will use to advertise my game:

The whole process was just too hard and I wanted to give it up a lot of times, but I kept working hard and right now I’m too proud and happy (special thanks to @Wild_Proto for helping me with all the scripting).
Thanks for reading!

25 Likes

I do like the game, It’s pretty nice overall the aspect behind the game is nice. Although, the sounds are a bit off for the items, as having medieval or RPG related sounds to the items, or Medieval music playing the background would add to the environment. Also, when people die, they just sit in place, with no way to respawn, this is a massive bug that would not allow people to play as much as they would wish to. The UI could use some improvements aswell. Overall it’s pretty nice.

5 Likes

it seems everyone who dies just gets frozen in place with no way to respawn, can still shoot the bow though

*An addon to avoid making another post:
It’s frustrating that players can sprint the same speed while going backwards, it makes getting into melee distance with an opponent near impossible and they can face you as they sprint back firing ranged attacks.

4 Likes

Liking the game so far. It would be nice to have better lighting. But great job!

2 Likes

VeRy Good Game :ok_hand:
1000/10

It Deserves a Like and Favorite From me

1 Like

I’d recommend making a tutorial when the player joins the game because, I had no idea what the aim of the game is and what to do. However from a first glance the game looks good

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback!!!

The aim of the game is just PVP and earn money (just like Da Hood or Mortem Metallum, if you know those titles). Also forgot to clarify: you spawn with all of those weapons just because I want people to test them, once bugs are fixed you’ll just spawn with a starter kit (fists and a pear) and will must get money in order to buy weapons or food (at their respective shops).

Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

@Bio_Punk, what would you change in the lighting to improve it?

@MP3Face, I’m currently working on the frozen effect, which happens only if you die from a direct explosive crossbow impact; the sprint backwards provides players the chance to escape from fights, but since you’re right, I’m about to keep the same speed while going backwards but the stamina would drain faster.

@TheReindeerDev, what specific sounds you think are a bit off for the items/effects?
The sit in place is the same “frozen effect” I talked about on the above reply to MP3Face.
I’d take those suggestions about music and UI too!

Thank you all for your feedback, and I’m sorry for the late reply! You’re welcome in HOLDFAST! with rewards awaiting for you as well, and I’d really appreciate if you join to the Discord Server (link on Roblox).

2 Likes

This is a small idea, but I think it would also be good to make using weapons (particularly melee) take stamina. You could vary the amount of stamina per use based on the weapon’s weight or other factors.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea, but I already thought about this and came to the following conclusion: there already is a lot of stamina loss (sprinting drains 0.75 stamina points per second, dodging drains 1 whole point per second and, if dodged, it consumes aproximately 40 points, as well as dash).

Thank you for feedbacking and testing the game with me yesterday!

1 Like

I respect your decision. I personally still think it would be a good idea to provide some advantages to carrying smaller weapons to balance out the higher damage and larger hitbox size of the large weapons; some alternatives could be to decrease large weapons’ attack speed or cause your character to go slower when carrying them.

1 Like

I agree with this idea and I’ll probably implement it in a near future. Thanks!

1 Like

I contributed a couple of systems to the game.

I highly recommend playing this game. It’s very well-detailed and is very engaging!

1 Like

Yes! Thank you for contributing to the UI and marketplace system!

1 Like

Hey! I fixed all of the bugs from last time and got suggestions (added play screen/menu, killfeed, and more stuff). I’d really appreciate it if you can test the game again.
Thank you for reading!

I’ve played the game again and got some more feedback. I wasn’t able to test the combat mechanics since no one was playing at the time.

• The UI design is rather inconsistent. You’ve got multiple styles going on and none of them seem like they go together or complement the game. To fix this, you need to choose one font and colour scheme for your interfaces that will be used throughout the game.
  • It’s likely you’re working on this already, but it would be good to add jumping and falling to the game’s custom animations.
  • I find that my character is often fallen over or stuck slightly in the ground when I first spawn. This isn’t a major issue since I can jump out of it, but it might be worth looking into.
1 Like

Hey! Thank you for keep feedbacking on my game!

I’ve sent you a message to check the UI design out; just about to add some custom falling/climb animations; and I think I just fixed that spawn bug.

Also, if you’re about to test the game you can just send me a message to test the combat system. Hopefully, I’ll get some more people (20 - 30) to test around the game (from the Roblox QA Discord server).

1 Like

Big problem!
Your illustration showed after the game map screenshot, turn it the other way round!

1 Like

Looks good, i will like and add to favorites :+1:

1 Like