Feedback on my Naginata remodel?

I’d like to get some thoughts and feedback on my latest work. Similarly to my recent post Feedback on my Katana remodel - where I showed off the new katana model I made, as compared to the 5 year old previous model - I’m posting again about my most recent model. I modelled a Japanese naginata, and wanted to compare this new model to my previous attempt (Again, from 5 years ago).

In order to achieve more of an accurate comparison, I imported the old model into blender, and rendered in the old style I used to render in. Please let me know what you think. :smile:

Here are both of the models:

New Naginata

Old:

Old:

Old:

34 Likes

careful- wouldn’t want to wound yourself on that edge.
jokes aside, looking really sharp right there.
alright alright, i’ll cut the jokes.

seems like my jokes are on the tip.

looks good i’ll see myself out.

4 Likes

Your puns have me on edge.

bottom text.

2 Likes

Wow, what an incredible Naginata model. I’m so impressed with your modelling skills. This looks professionally made.

Well done!

2 Likes

Thank you! Lately I’ve been trying to use normal maps more frequently to give it that extra fine detail. I plan on hosting my own ArtStation account too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks great! I know personally I love the more Eastern-inspired weapons and I’m eager to see more, but how long did this take you to make for the original compared to the new one?

1 Like

If I recall correctly, the original one took me approximately 20 minutes to make (all it really is, is a bunch of cylindrical parts scaled onto each other for the shaft, and a part/wedge unioned into one for the blade). The new one however did take me around 3-4 hours from start to finish.

2 Likes

This looks amazing, you’ve improved heaps keep up the great work :grin:.
How did you get the fade affect?

3 Likes

The fade effect is just an added blur in Photoshop :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Incredible work!!
I’ve known you for quite some time now, and your skills kept on improving drastically. :slight_smile: I’m super impressed!

If there was room for feedback, I’d give some but it looks to me that you perfectly nailed it!
Keep it up, bro.

1 Like

The naginata model looks really well made! I really apreciate that you added in small details like a fuller and a false edge. My only critique is that the handle could use some sort of wrappings to finnish of the model and make it look a bit more complete. Otherwise it’s really pretty and nice to look at.

1 Like

What sort of wrappings would you suggest?

1 Like

A handle wrapoung like what you did for the katana you made would look fine, but having the wrap only be applied to points where a user would grip would be nice to see. images (3)

Ah I see what you mean. I intend on making the naginata customizable, so I’ll design a second shaft type that has that kind of feature. Thank you for the suggestion. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes