Feedback on my Katana remodel?

I’d like to get some thoughts and feedback on this new model. Over 5 years ago, I built a katana using CSG for my game Kingdom Life 2. Ever since, I never really touched on Asian weaponry again. Today, I decided to change that, and remodelled a katana in Blender. This new model will be used in my upcoming game, Hreinngar.

I wanted to get a proper comparison of both of the models, so I imported the old model into blender, and rendered in the old style I used to render in.

View at your own risk

Here’s both of the models rendered:

New Katana

Old:

Old:

42 Likes

I love your Katana, is so very realistic and professional

5 Likes

Holy, LOTS of improvements! It’s so clean and smooth. I really like the newer version! Just a question, how long did it take you to make the new Katana and the old 1? :thinking:

1 Like

can’t speak for devBuckette
but imo if he modeled the first katana while he was learning, it would have taken aprox. the same or a bit tad’ more than the new model because he’s became more experienced at using Blender.

1 Like

The first katana which was made with Roblox Studio (The blade was unioned) took around 15-20 minutes. The new katana took between 3-4 hours to complete, then another hour to set up the rendering and materials. :slightly_smiling_face:

cc @Ayletheris

2 Likes

Thank you! I plan to model quite a few more Asian weapons in the future. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It looks great, it’s crazy to see comparisons of how far things have come! I really like how the new Katana turned out. I know you said you haven’t touched on Asian weaponry, but will you model any other weapons from a similar region? I’d be excited to see more.

1 Like

I intend on modelling a naginata next, but I also intend on modelling some Chinese weapons. Either way, lots more coming :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Absolutely stunning katana. I’m so impressed with how far you’ve come as a developer in the last 5 years and would love to see your next katana in another 5 years!

Well done!

3 Likes

Thank you! I want to keep improving my skills and am curious to see what the skill gap will be like in 5 years from now, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This Katana is sooo good wow :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you! I want to see if I can make the hamon (the heat tempering line that Katana’s typically have), and model a nice scabbard with a sageo (the tie on the scabbard).

1 Like

Wow, your Katana is beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. You have improved so much compared to the older one. Well done <3

Thank you! Is there any way I can improve it?

Not that I can think of sorry!

1 Like

Feedback

The katana looks amazing through I do have an addition that you could add on.

A key difference between authentic and counterfeit katana is in the blade itself. You see, during the hardening process of the katana, the surface is covered with an insulating clay mix, thinner at the cutting edge and thicker at the body. This results in the katana’s blade cooling at different rates and it leaves this fine differentiation in colour as you can see where the clay would’ve been placed.

Everything else, however, appears accurate. Great job!

Aye, the ‘hamon’ that you speak of is something I wanted to add as well but I chose not to. This has more to do with the model’s application than it does artistic license. I intend on using this in my RP game, where you fully customize a weapon both geometrically as well as its colour.

SurfaceAppearance could allow me to add the hamon, but that feature is not live yet so I decided to wait and see first. :smile:

1 Like

Amazing, the remodel looks so nice, I love the details and the hard work. Good job :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I try to always keep an eye out for detail. :slight_smile:

That is so cool! I am learning to build any tips?

1 Like