Flickering UI Elements ONLY in Studio

When testing the game in studio, creating a slideup window for my UI causes the elements to flicker. The flickering element is a TextButton with a UICorner and padding. I think the cause of it has something to do with the UIListLayout and its HorizontalFlex property.

This bug doesnt occur in game, and I’ve tried to restart both Studio and my computer, M1 Macbook Air. Both studio and the game are running the same version published, with no changes between them.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this I’d be very greatful as this hinders development a good amount. Please note that this topic is being posted here as I dont have access to bug reports.

Here is some media which may be useful.

Studio

export2|video, 50%

Client

export1|video, 50%

UIListLayout

export3|video, 50%

The order of my ui elements

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 1.28.58 PM

1 Like

This is still happening, I have re-installed studio, and done updates… If anybody can help or offer their experience that would be great.

Flickering is usually caused by Z-Index fighting.

Check the Z-index of all your layered items.

you can test different layouts, or just wait until roblox studio is fixed for you

Hi there, Z Index is not the issue, the flickering textButton doesnt overlap any of it’s sibling buttons.

Hi, thanks for reporting this issue! I wasn’t able to see the videos on the website, but right click+download worked:

Do you have TextScaled=true on a TextLabel/TextButton/TextBox with AutomaticSize+flex enabled? There is a known flickering bug for this case.

Would you be able to share a minimal repro file? You can submit a private file or DM it to me if you don’t want it to be public. Thanks!

Hello there, I’ll attach a roblox place file below for reproduction purposes. I also want to add an observation that selecting the flickering element in the explorer causes the flickering to stop, however the SpaceBetween horizontal flex doesn’t recalculate properly, and then toggling to a different setting and back causes the flickering to start again.

repro1.rbxl (228.5 KB)
To reproduce click on the test application icon and then click create slideup.

This also causes my studio to indefinitely hang when not in Play mode. This issue last occurred roughly 4+ hours ago in multiple sessions on a Windows 11 Desktop PC.
repro.rbxm (7.7 KB) — Insert into StarterGui

Selecting the Frame or the TextLabel in this model will freeze studio. Changing the Text from “XP: 200” to → “XP: 199” for example resolves this due to the size difference. Selecting will not freeze studio if the ScreenGui.Enabled is set to false – Studio only seems to freeze if the Gui Inset properties are set similarly to this.

I’m not using any UIFlex features.

Bug

1 Like

Thanks for the repro file!

It looks like this is being caused by the specific value of UIScale.Scale, I tried different scale values other than 0.784 and that seemed to stop the flickering?

A temporary workaround could be setting RichText=true on the TextLabel.

I also think this is the same bug as this: "Reentrancy on the same AbsoluteContentSize property changed while getting the value for it!" causing Studio to crash when selecting element

1 Like

Thank you for the repro file!

This bug looks to be with flex layout, since it only occurs if the flex beta is turned on. I’ll take a look and let you know when it’s fixed.

Some possible workarounds could be to turn off TextScaled on your TextLabels or avoid using flex layout, since I think this combination is causing the issue.

1 Like
  1. Check UIListLayout settings: Ensure correct alignment and review HorizontalFlex property.
  2. Verify UICorner and padding settings: Confirm proper configuration of TextButton properties.
  3. Test with different UI elements: Substitute TextButton with other UI elements to identify the issue.
  4. Disable conflicting scripts/plugins: Temporarily turn off any scripts/plugins interacting with UI elements.
  5. Update Studio: Install the latest version of Studio to address compatibility or bug-related problems.