Force sit for seats

A “force sit” method would be a great addition to the engine. The purpose? eg put an user in the driver seat after purchasing a vehicle.

What it could look like is
Humanoid:Sit( Seat )
or
Seat:Sit( Humanoid )

This would help greatly with the project where me and some others are working on, currently we are tp’ing the user to the seat’s position but it’s a bit funky and we often gives weird results (eg seating on the wrong seat).

46 Likes

Oh my god this is so useful.+1

4 Likes

Bump.

The only alternative I can think of short of teleporting the user above the seat (please no) is to manually create the seat weld and rebind jump to break the weld, at which point you could be using any basepart.

Use case: context action seating, which is what every game not on Roblox does. X to sit, etc. Touching the seat and suddenly sitting is not expected behavior for new users.

On that note, it’s also weird that characters jump when getting up. A property to disable this jumping would also be nice, but I think you could get away with this yourself just rebinding the jump key to delete the weld instead of jumping the humanoid. But again, this takes rebinding.

3 Likes

I’ve done this before, and IIRC you don’t need to handle the joint being broken on jump so long as you set it up appropriately. If you name it SeatWeld, ROBLOX will break it for you on jump.

2 Likes

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Humanoid/SeatPart
This property should be writable.

6 Likes

Support.

This would actually be a quite nice and useful feature.

1 Like

Would be very helpful. I Support

1 Like

I’ve spent a lot of time fairly well perfecting my own ways of doing this manually, but it would be nice as a built in feature.

We are working on implementing this feature.

12 Likes

Shipped.

14 Likes

API:
http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Seat/Sit
http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/VehicleSeat/Sit

4 Likes

I lied. We shipped it but the flag is not flipped. I will be flipping this flag on Monday and another one that will be getting rid of the ~.4s latency of creating seat welds by making them client-side. So get hyped.

3 Likes

Should this also address the problem of locally created seats not creating welds as expected? place that demonstrates the issue

to reproduce, create a new Seat instance via the client, with experimental mode turned off, and then play online. If needed I can create a new thread in bug reports

rbxl

seat repro.rbxl (557.8 KB)

I needed this feature this weekend, but I waited til today… I still don’t think it’s working? Is the flag flipped?

Did you mean next Monday? It’s definitely still not working.

We flipped a flag yesterday related to Seats that broke a lot of things so we are going to take a look at this again. I will update this thread when the flag is officially flipped. I promise.

Just kidding, we shipped it. We like to keep you on your toes.

Try this:
game.workspace.Seat:Sit(game.workspace.Player1.Humanoid)

Also works with VehicleSeat:Sit

12 Likes

It works! Love it. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.