Free, Large-Scale Frozen Terrain Map

A Free, Large-Scale Frozen Smooth Terrain Map

Hi! It’s Macaw. Today, I’m going to be giving y’all a free smooth terrain map.

You come across a stormy, frozen planet with eternal blizzards and sharp plateaus.

Cinematic Shots:

Now let’s get into the details.

What does it feature?

Please note beforehand that the following pictures are pre-processing, without any lighting additions, and the studio may of chosen to make the lighting and terrain look all odd.
If the lighting looks weird, note that it does not in-game.

• Overhead shot for reference:

• A big area to work with. The squares below are each 2048 by 2048, so you can get a feel on how large it is.

• A deep ravine. It’s long, and leads into a large cave. It plunges about 450 studs down. It’s colored blue with glacier, rather than rock.

• A large cave. It starts at the ravine and ends in the main area. It’s approximately 120 studs tall.

• Complex cave system. Stretching from inside the large cave all the way to spawn (spawn is next to the ravine,) there’s 6 entrances and exits, with a maze of tunnels in-between. There’s no way I could capture any images of the terrain caves as a whole, so feel free to visit the game and check them out. There’s many ways to travel. I’ll give one shot of the caves, but really, go check out the place.

• A large expanse. This covers most of the map. There’s two frozen-over rivers, which converge at a giant lake and a waterfall that join together, and then eventually meet up at a second lake, pictured below. The terrain has been detailed to be bumpy with the occasional hill.

• Surrounding plateaus. These rise to up to 280 studs off the ground to keep the immersion. It’s not recommended you let players up here, as that would ruin the point of the plateaus. Please refer to the image in “What Else?” to see where players can go before the immersion becomes lost.

• A giant lake. A narrow, frozen-over river passes through the entrance. High plateaus surround the lake.

• Large Tors. Up to 500 studs in height, these occasionally dot the large expanse of snow.

• Lastly, a cute little waterfall. It goes from plateau height to about 100 studs above the ground, before turning into a river.

Of course, if you want to look into the map more in-depth, please visit the game.

I will say this again, if the terrain or lighting looks weird, it really isn’t. It’s probably a visual bug in studio, and does not appear in-game.

Where do I get it?

Visit the link here. It’s uncopy-locked.

What else?

• The areas highlighted are areas not meant for players to go on. They ruin the immersion by letting you see past the plateaus, and into the endless void.

• Need any specific dimension measurements? Let me know, or get the place and measure it yourself.

• The setting is supposed to be on the planet “Ordo Plutiona” from Star Wars, but there’s nothing in specific tied to the planet. Tors and plateaus can be found anywhere.

Q & A

Q:Did you get any help?
A: All of the terrain has been made by me.

Q:How long did this take?
A: This took about one and a half month’s work to make.

Q: Why are there Noobs everywhere?
A: So you can compare the size of anything to a regular player.

Q: Is the music and skybox yours?
The blizzard ambience and skybox assets were not created by me, and you can remove them from the explorer. They’re both there for atmosphere, and I don’t claim those two assets. The ambience was made by Roblox themselves and the skybox by @Q_Q. The waterfall was made using a plugin.

Q: What’s the backstory? Why is it free?
A: It was a custom-made map made as a commission, and was going to be sold at 12k Robux. Then the commissioner backed out without notice, and removed me from the development team. I’ve now decided to let y’all have it.

Q: Why is X the way it is?
A: Reply with any questions. A lot of the time it will be “the commissioner asked so.”

Q: Do I need to pay you?
A: Of course not, it’s free! Donations are always welcome, though. Want to commission me? Visit these two links.

Q: Is credit needed?
A: Yes, just put my name in the description.

I don’t know if this is the right decision to make. But here I am.

So my map is now free to use with credit. If you’re going to be using it, I hope you enjoy it, and if not, thanks for reading this post and/or checking out the game.

If you see anything I’ve missed, have any questions, or want to give feedback? Please reply below.

Thank you for you time.

Lovingly created and provided by,
Macaw. :parrot:

88 Likes

2 Likes

sorry you couldnt get paid for this, ill donate some in return for the map :slight_smile:

4 Likes

can you set up a gamepass or something on the game I can buy, ill donate 200 to you, that is with tax.

3 Likes

Great work! Your terrain is a “sight for sore eyes”.

ignore the cringe

2 Likes

Very nice! I most likely will be using this for my projects.

2 Likes

Wow. I wish I could make terrain as well as you. I’m a very 2014-2016 kinda guy, and I rarely touch the terrain tools.

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Even looks good on a trash Samsung phone!

4 Likes

You might want to edit this part out, or at least add a Creative Commons notice. By entering something into the public domain, people can do anything they wish, including claiming they created it and selling it.

Regardless, great work!

4 Likes

Thank you! I’ve edited that part out, since that was not intentional. If you could, would you tell me how I add a Creative Commons notice?

2 Likes

Of course try this: https://chooser-beta.creativecommons.org/

I am not a lawyer; seek professional advice. This advice is general in nature and not to be taken as personal professional advice.

4 Likes

Astonishing use of terrain! Those views on the mountains are wonderful! In general, I love it, specifically well-made caves with a lot of passion put into building them.

3 Likes

It’s amazing! I can already see me making cabins an all in this to relax in this beautiful atmosphere and landscape ^^

With credit of course!

1 Like

Thank you guys so much! I realize that my response was quite late, but I appreciate the kind words. It keeps me motivated for future projects!

In addition, the place has now been updated: There were lots of holes in the walls and some areas of terrain not smoothed enough and still blocky. I’ve fixed many cliffs, however, if you spot something off please let me know!

Lastly, I’d like to point out once more that the only asset used, a waterfall, was not mine and was created from a free plugin. All terrain is mine, though!

In conclusion: You guys rock big-time!

8 Likes

Amazing! I hope I can find another map but bigger and like antarctica

1 Like