Free Posterize/Dithering Effect

Please note that this effect has been made for ShadowMap and Future Lighting. If you would like for it to work on Compatibility, please tinker with the brightness of the ColorCorrection until it looks right. ExposureCompensation will also completely break the effect and I do not know how to fix it.

Recent Updates:

• Fixed gray overlay on high FOV.

I’ve always wanted a functional thing that would reduce the amount of colors that would show on screen. I’ve only seen this done through glitches with the Fog property, although most of them have stopped working now (as far as I know).

I’ve tinkered with photo editors and then found a somewhat hacky way to reduce the colors on an image, which was to reduce the contrast on the image to the point that it is too hazy to see, and then turn up the contrast very high to bring it back.

This script incorporates it into Roblox, and as a plus, this also dithers the image on screen.
I have made a new version that has no dithering but is consistent between devices. The new script is found here.

Meanwhile, you can find the old script here.

Enjoy!

76 Likes

i just found out that putting a blur effect it can make this look extremely low quality

37 Likes

You should instead create the part at the beginning of the script and only update its position every frame.

62 Likes

if the player jumps off the map and dies to the void, then that part will be destroyed. I did this to prevent that.

11 Likes

It won’t. Anchored parts stay in the void forever.

15 Likes

yeah but every game has a FallenPartsDestroyHeight where parts that fall below that height will immediately be destroyed.

11 Likes

Anchored parts are not destroyed below that height.

15 Likes

You can create a new part if it gets destroyed

12 Likes

I’m doing that every frame because i feel like it would be more complicated to have to use a bunch of respawn events to get it to “sync up” in a way.

10 Likes

oh i didn’t know that, I’ll update the post.

12 Likes

This looks seriously cool! I don’t think a style like this has ever been done before, except similarly on games like Robot 64 and Blamo which just used an image overlay. Your module seems to make a much more real effect. Also, the blur effect is very interesting, I can see that being used for horror games or unique styles very nicely.

I’m curious if this workaround only works on specific graphic quality levels, or only on specific devices?

11 Likes

this looks really cool, especially with the dithering, is there a direct way of controlling how many colors to produce? or is it just mess around and find out

9 Likes

this is the lowest you can go unfortunately and if it was any higher you wouldn’t even notice

7 Likes

if you want to use this to decimate the visual style of your game, here’s a little pack I made with it:

4 Likes

also, i’ve noticed that when i use this in the exact place you’re using, it doesn’t look like exactly the same

the Posterizer is more visible and the dithering doesn’t exactly blend the colors togheter
what rendering mode do you use? i use Direct3D11

edit: is there a fix for this, or did roblox patch it

Also, Set CanQuery to false so that it doesn’t interfere with clickdetectors or raycasts

Part.CanQuery = false

2 Likes

i think the rendering mode I use is OpenGL.

1 Like

oh, thanks for the information! I have updated the model.

as far as I know, no. It simply just keeps a hazy part in front of the camera and then applies a colorcorrection effect to restore the colors in a way.

this is how it looks in OpenGL, no modifications to the script were made
you can check/change what rendering mode you use in Studio Settings > Rendering > Graphics Mode

1 Like