Friday Update 4 is here (just about!)

Oof. After missing last week due to real life stuff, I almost missed this week as well due to some issues I ran into with the new VM. I’m posting this just before midnight, so it counts!

Anyway, I’m focusing on making touch input work at last. There’s a couple other tweaks and a lot of refactors under the hood too, but you’ll notice a real fresh set of UI if you have a touchscreen laptop. Block breaking and placing is still a no-go, but everything else is awesome now :slightly_smiling_face:

Try it out here (or optionally, try it after you’ve read the changelog, I’m not in a hurry)

I’m going to start posting the changelog from the Blox Wiki here instead of rewriting it, so forgive the past tense-ness! I’ve had to strip the wiki links from it also, since Roblox doesn’t allow those. Enjoy!

Changes

• Revamped the GUI backend, with a new navigation history manager and reworked internal structure.
  • Tweaked the main menu logo animation and sizing slightly.
  • Added a new game menu, accessible in game with Enter, or the Menu button in the bottom right when using touch.
  • Reworked the chat experience for touch screens. Now, a dedicated Chat button appeared in the lower left corner when using touch, which could be used to compose a new message. The regular input box was hidden when using touch to free up space.
  • Made the block select menu compatible with touch - now, when using touch, a ‘…’ button would appear to the right of the hotbar, and could be tapped to bring up the block select menu. Tapping a block would select it as normal.
  • Improved text rendering on high DPI displays.
  • Fixed a bug where you could interact with the world while not in game.
  • Fixed a separate bug where you could interact with the in-game UI while not in game.
  • Fixed a bug where a test developer product was incorrectly used on the donator shop screen.
  • Implemented a new, faster rendering pipeline, which remained disabled due to visual regressions.
  • Raised the block update cap on the server from 20/step to 50/step.
  • Fixed a bug where touch controls didn’t work over the chat window.

Bugs

• Some blocks, such as Saplings, could be placed unsupported (e.g. in mid air). They would still decay after being randomly ticked.
  • Attempting to place a block while facing directly upwards can fail.
  • Touching the game world on a touch enabled device would always break the block you were looking at, even when dragging to look around, and placing blocks was impossible. This bug had existed since 0.30 but only registered in this version, as touch controls were becoming a main priority.
  • The dynamic thumbstick and jump button overlapped some in game UI. This bug had existed since 0.30 but only registered in this version, as touch controls were becoming a main priority.

As always, please leave your suggestions, feedback and bug reports - I read every piece of information I get from you guys, and try to respond to as many as possible :slight_smile:

Read the last announcement post here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 1 minute. New replies are no longer allowed.