Future Is Bright: Phase 2 - Studio beta

ShadowSoftness is basically just AA?

If you leave it at 0, they turn into an old Minecraft shader.

The shadows are superrrrr pixelated without softness.

4 Likes

Worth the ping. FiB gets yet another awesome installment.

1 Like

Not AA, but blur. They blur the pixels, basically.

2 Likes

Thank you!! :heart:

Phase 2 is bringing near render quality in real time to our games, this is fantastic!
I’m also super happy to see shadows actually cast onto water properly, you can see the shadow moving from the waves!

78 Likes

This is so cool!

28 Likes

The short shadow distance is a side effect of our current level of detail setup; we’ll need to retune it - the shadow rendering system itself supports much larger ranges. Definitely something we’ll come back to.

40 Likes

This is really nice! :smile: Can’t wait to see this be used on future games

4 Likes

This changes everything! Even though from some photos it could use some work, but this will really make people look upon roblox different way once it’s away from studio and onto the clients! :heart:

3 Likes

Yeah apparently the fix for this was only applied to Voxel :slight_smile: We’ll fix this again, for good this time.

9 Likes

Beautiful! I’m happy to hear this can be re-tuned, if anything please give devs the ability to adjust it themselves. I’ll still be using this feature as it is my most awaited for a long time and it lived to the hype-- good work to the engineering team

2 Likes

This is so cool! I just tried it out with my map (had to do some lighting adjustments from Voxel to ShadowMap) and it can almost be mistaken for Train Simulator 2019 or Trainz! (keyword: almost)

Roblox:

Train Simulator 2019:

43 Likes

Woah! Spam clicking the studio icon right now…

1 Like

Anybody else seeing that particles with light emission on shadow maps looks as if it produces less of a glow in comparison to Voxel?

as an example ;

30 Likes

Oh. My. God. I’m so thankful for everyone who are working on FIB, it’s not even the final thing and it already looks darn amazing…

:heart_eyes:

46 Likes

imo natural terrain needs a rework for this to look good. although… image

realism is happy.

32 Likes

This is simply amazing! I can’t wait to see what people are able to make out of this!

3 Likes

Quality games are going to be so much easier, thanks so much!

The future truly is bright.

3 Likes

Question: Does phase 2 have the same lighting features that phase 3 has (but only for the sun) or are those other features coming in phase 3?

1 Like

Very happy to hear this, thank you for letting us know,

2 Likes

Wow, it looks so awesome just by looking at the pictures on here! Can’t wait to try this out. Should make my aircraft shadows look a lot better!

2 Likes