Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

Alright! the future is really bright and now wait to see video frame released.

2 Likes

I’ve fallen in love all over again like I did when I first got a hold of the v11 studio beta. I’m so glad phase 3 lighting has returned.

2 Likes

Do you know when this feature is going to be released?

2 Likes

I can’t with this feature- the result is amazing! Really nice work with phase 3 and I can’t wait to use it in my showcases.
Shadowmap:

Future:

41 Likes

I did, I didn’t see anything it was being werid kinda

2 Likes

This was introduced in the Avatar Evolution build and is not yet completed. Aka, it’s not ready and likely is missing most of its functionality in releases and simply exists for save compatibility (i.e. bringing an Avatar Evolution or test build save into normal studio, same with VideoFrames, which, fun fact are enabled in a small list of places).

It’s targeted for 2nd quarter (this month being the last) so I think we can either expect it to release in the next update or two, or it may potentially be pushed forward for more testing. Roblox does intensive testing of new features before release (especially more sensitive ones and especially ones which may have an effect on performance).

My personal understanding (and a detailed explanation) around the reason for doing so much testing on all of these new lighting features is that Roblox wants to make sure that lighting is not only consistent across all of the graphics APIs they implement (Vulkan, Metal, etc), but also all of the hardware (such as AMD vs NVidia GPUs, different cards, CPUs with integrated graphics, etc) and OSes (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS) they support. They likely have lots of people who know their stuff reviewing code, lots of tests they run on different APIs including visual and performance-wise, potentially even actual hardware and OS installations they test on to make sure that everything goes smoothly.

11 Likes

This is amazing! :smile: :tada:

42 Likes

I’m not sure if the pictures you posted are referring to beams not working as well haha. Nonetheless damn does phase 3 look nice. I’d argue in a lot of areas phase 3 looks better than default Unity lighting in a lot of ways if even a little effort is put forth into the visual design.

6 Likes

The OP stated that Direct3D11 supported it(DX11).

5 Likes

What do you mean finally? We’ve had some great lighting with shadowmap, this just makes it that much better.

3 Likes

I turned it on in my place, and I noticed a few of the following issues:

Geometric grass is rendered completely black.
I’m sure this is just temporary, and is currently recognized by the Roblox staff. On the other hand, a few of my SurfaceGuis are darker than they should be.
Another strange thing that I noticed was with the Cloth material in particular, and with the water material. Cloth parts are extremely glowy-looking, almost looking like they’ve been dipped in frosting like they’re glazed donuts. Water, on the other hand, is completely black apart from a bit of reflection, regardless of how bright overhead lights are.

Other than that, this is amazing, especially considering what Roblox used to look like eight years ago. I love it.

17 Likes

This is amazing and I’ve been waiting for this to come into beta!
Here are some pictures from a small showcase build I’ve started:

Pictures

4 Likes

EDIT: SurfaceLights seem to be causing this.
I’m getting some weird graphical glitches when enabling this feature.

Video 1:

Video 2:

I’m using the latest Nvidia drivers that were released earlier today, not sure if that’s what could be causing it.

6 Likes

I had the same issue with the grass being rendered completely black:

8 Likes

Yay, there’s an official beta out now; the things I can make with this is astounding! Roblox games are going to achieve another level of realism, thanks for this!

3 Likes

just did sumn’ cool with the new lighting

anyways stan nicki

21 Likes

When released, will this be kept as a third & separate lighting option as it is now (“Shadow Map”, “Future”, etc), or will this replace Shadow Map & Voxel / be incorporated within those two lighting options?

6 Likes

Just figured I’d share this here… truly an amazing display of P3 in my opinion.
[Edit]
Just thought I would add a few more screenshots of this new lighting, don’t mind me :slight_smile:

49 Likes

Just…Just… AMAZING! I’m VERY impressed!

2 Likes

Lights are just shining through walls in my place.

Do anyone have any values for wall thickness? Or does the new lights not seem to respect walls anymore?

4 Likes