Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

I’m using PointLight effect and it doesn’t actually work for me.

2 Likes

Incredible update!! Congratulations. :smile:
Map: Cyberpunk Apartment [Showcase]

14 Likes

So I recreated the setup you have in Future (top picture) and in Voxel (bottom picture). I’m not sure, but double check your lighting settings.

On that note the difference is extremely noticeable. This update is AWSOME.

9 Likes

Will surface, spot, and point lights ever be able to draw shadows?

15 Likes

The difference of lighting at different graphic levels provides a substantially unfair advantage in a dark-room man-hunt scenario at low quality levels.
Quality 10:
Quality 1:
Is this going to change? And if not would it be recommended to fake the darkness with exaggerated contrast from ColorCorrection for low quality users?

37 Likes

Any possibilities of adding volumetric lighting? I think that would be really cool.
Either way this update is still great! :+1:

3 Likes

it got a little dark

[character 30]

3 Likes

This… is amazing!!!

25 Likes

Holy bacon flakes! THIS IS AWESOME!

15 Likes

Make sure that the shadows property in your light is enbabled

2 Likes

Beams don’t seem to work if the future technology is enabled.

SHADOW MAP

FUTURE

30 Likes

thats the coolest thing ive ever seen all day

2 Likes

You mean an update for the SunRaysEffect?

Quick reference of what that looks like with the Future lighting system.

7 Likes

Sorry for the late response, but this update isn’t compatible with that graphic mode. Try changing it to vulkan.

3 Likes

Alright! the future is really bright and now wait to see video frame released.

2 Likes

I’ve fallen in love all over again like I did when I first got a hold of the v11 studio beta. I’m so glad phase 3 lighting has returned.

2 Likes

Do you know when this feature is going to be released?

2 Likes

I can’t with this feature- the result is amazing! Really nice work with phase 3 and I can’t wait to use it in my showcases.
Shadowmap:

Future:

41 Likes

I did, I didn’t see anything it was being werid kinda

2 Likes

This was introduced in the Avatar Evolution build and is not yet completed. Aka, it’s not ready and likely is missing most of its functionality in releases and simply exists for save compatibility (i.e. bringing an Avatar Evolution or test build save into normal studio, same with VideoFrames, which, fun fact are enabled in a small list of places).

It’s targeted for 2nd quarter (this month being the last) so I think we can either expect it to release in the next update or two, or it may potentially be pushed forward for more testing. Roblox does intensive testing of new features before release (especially more sensitive ones and especially ones which may have an effect on performance).

My personal understanding (and a detailed explanation) around the reason for doing so much testing on all of these new lighting features is that Roblox wants to make sure that lighting is not only consistent across all of the graphics APIs they implement (Vulkan, Metal, etc), but also all of the hardware (such as AMD vs NVidia GPUs, different cards, CPUs with integrated graphics, etc) and OSes (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS) they support. They likely have lots of people who know their stuff reviewing code, lots of tests they run on different APIs including visual and performance-wise, potentially even actual hardware and OS installations they test on to make sure that everything goes smoothly.

11 Likes