Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

Oh yeahhhhhhhhh. It looks amazing, but performance with many lights (like the kingdom template) is not the best, sometimes even makes Studio crash.

7 Likes

I guess my FFlag mod is no longer needed

Good to see a preview!

6 Likes

I don’t even need a christmas this year anymore

47 Likes

I know that in the Future is Bright beta builds, particles were able to cast shadows onto level geometry. However, they do not seem to do that with Future lighting enabled. Are particle shadows planned at some point soon?

Why is this the case?

11 Likes

Future lighting seems to be bugged on my end :confused:
For context, all neon parts have SpotLight instances within, and it looks like this with shadowmap:

51 Likes

Time to sit back and see the awesome creations flood in :sunglasses:

Popcorn anyone? :popcorn:

27 Likes

Great timing of release, I’m working on a new horror game!
Here are some screenshots with the Future Technology.

Shadowmap:

Future:

Love the new update, thanks to the staff that made this possible :heart:

93 Likes

Maybe it’s because it makes more shadows.

12 Likes

Look at shadow near that torches

17 Likes

While the new future lighting is fantastic, I think everyone would benefit greatly from Light.EnableSpecular.

What this would do is make it so the Specular highlighting on artifical light sources, such as point lights, spot lights, and surface lights, would not render, making ambient lighting more believable.

Example of the specular highlighting being problematic:

I have a point light in the center of this room that acts as a way to simulate the “bouncing” of light, so the Torches on both sides of the room won’t need ridiculously huge ranges.

This would allow us to use the new Future lighting for all of the new fancy lighting features, while also still allowing us to selectively turn off specular highlighting for Lights!

103 Likes

I’m so happy ROBLOX is always improving it’s graphics. Future is Bright is totally amazing with the way it looks, the different lightings and the shadows. This is truly amazing with the updates that’s been coming for the past months. :heart_eyes:

14 Likes

epic
RTX on update lookin good

You think you could contact the company behind RTX (Nvidia) for branding purposes?
It would be funny if people memed about Roblox actually having RTX

20 Likes

Wow, the shadows look amazing and terrifying. We can seriously utilize that in horror games!

But, several things:

• the light still leaks out as with the other modes as well; I think it should be enclosed
  • the shadows still appear at the bottom there, even though the light is inside

• it’d be cool if you guys can add volumetric lighting (or an option of it) into this.

Right now, there’s just that square of sunlight there, but having the option of volumetric lighting would make it possible to see sunrays like these:

• and with the new glare option with the Atmosphere object, it’d be cool to have star glare and that circular glare phenomenon (IDK the actual term LOL)

Circular glare.

Star glare.

Nevertheless, this is a great step into the future…which we’re already in apparently…
Keep it up, Roblox! :roblox: :roblox_light:

145 Likes

Are there any plans for enabling shadows for SurfaceLights as well?

14 Likes

This is not Roblox at all!!
The reflection, the lighting are just Amazing!

15 Likes

I agree. I think at some point the Technology enums should be replaced with simple boolean values (the enums are already non-scriptable so this should not break any games) to enable Specular, HDR, Crisp shadows (sun + local), etc, as well as per-light settings for these as well. It would allow for games to much more easily tailor lighting to their game.

As for your specific use-case, due to Roblox’s lack of GI, I think this is also a good idea.

17 Likes
me freaking out about how COOL THIS IS

THIS IS SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
ITS MOSTLY PITCH BLACK BUT ITS SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK WOOOOOOOOOOOAH
IT LOOKS LIKE ITS IN BLENDER ITS SO GOOOOOOOOOOD

although it’s kind laggy but I guess that means my computer is bad but it looks so neat and i love it keep up the good work it’s so awesome and cool and awesome and cool and you can tell that im SUPER DUPER hyped for this because it’s gonna make so many showcase games look so LEGENDARY

anywho, are there going to be further optimizations pushed or should I just stay away from the max graphics quality forever?

12 Likes

Are there any plans to uncap the maximum light range of 60, or at least increase it?

22 Likes

Nice it looks cool for my game since it has future lighting and name is future battle this will work

20 Likes

Wow, thank you very much for this. I love to see these before and afters.

ShadowMap:

Future:(I was trying to get this effect in shadow map for soo long and now it’s here!)
ShadowMap:

Future:image

29 Likes