Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

Big issue I’ve noticed:

Whatever surface your light is attached to, is no longer lit up directly by that light source, making areas like this that normally look bright in ShadowMap or Voxel, pretty much pitch black.

46 Likes

This is great! How do surface lights perform?

10 Likes

This is just amazing, can’t wait to get the pbr too!!

62 Likes

This is amazing on how to changes!!

6 Likes

Ah yes, the new lighting system is amazing!

7 Likes

I am noticing an issue with phase three being enabled which makes it so fog does not obscure SurfaceGuis. I tested with both atmosphere and legacy fog and neither seems to hide it. When ShadowMap is turned back on, however, it seems to hide it again.

35 Likes

Future Is Bright Phase 2 aka Shadow Maps

Future Is Bright Phase 3 aka Future

Yes, as you can see it the difference is a lot. I know this is not the best example to give you what I mean by that but yeah.

57 Likes

Ditto to this. The lack of bounce lighting can be fixed by manually placed lights, but we need to be able to disable speculars on certain lights to hide the fake bounce light sources.

12 Likes

This is epic!
I’ve noticed a strange issue with SurfaceLights however. I set one’s angle to under 10 and noticed these sharp black squares where the light should fade out.
Only happening on Future.

17 Likes

the fix for this is coming shortly

19 Likes

Seems like there’s a dark circle around the camera when brightness is set to 0 and everything is supposed to be dark.

I’ve also noticed this extremely unlogical shadow on a large pillar-like shape appears even with only 1 point light. It seems to appear only when it’s a bit far from the light itself.
Spotlights with the “Shadows” option enabled also don’t work at all when the part it’s attached to is opaque.

15 Likes

This is amazing, I’m in love with the reflection of the red and blues.

80 Likes

SpotLight shadows are affected by the part holding it

Transparency 0:

Transparency 1:

28 Likes

After I digging I found this. Is this thing will be work on normal game?

9 Likes

Someone already posted about this, SurfaceAppearance is Avatar Evolution, not Future Is Bright! But both use PBR, and both are planned, and will probably release at similar dates

17 Likes

Absolutely disappointed. My street lights now get way too glossy reflections from the road surface (concrete material). I was also hoping to bump their range past 60, but it appears the input limits it. This makes things like roadway illumination look absolutely horrible, and I’m still very annoyed the lighting range is limited to 60 studs.

Another example, the reflections from the roadway lighting are horribly distributed on the road surface, and would be extremely hard to see the road with in a first-person driving perspective.

67 Likes

This is absolutely an unwelcome change. I say this is absolutely ridiculous, 60 studs is not an acceptable maximum for lights. Even if it’s a technical limitation (like the shadow maps not being precise enough or something) - at least let us crank it and find out.

30 Likes

Wait, did I not use it correctly? What did I do wrong? To the best of my knowledge, this affect local lights and I tried Future lighting with local lights-

6 Likes

There’s still a bit of light leakage through thin parts. Even if the thin part extends down below the ground.

Weeee https://github.com/Roblox/future-is-bright/issues/156 still exists!!

This also causes things like this to not work:

Even though moving things further away from the light makes it work:

Incredibly annoying, still not fixed.

Take a look at this nice bias!

fib_biased_shadowmaps

Probably ran into an exact condition where an intentional cutoff value was exactly intersecting with the parts’ faces, or something.

37 Likes

In the original tests where they had you download a different version of Studio, you could bump the lighting range to practically infinite, and even adjust the ShadowMap range and ShadowMap-to-Voxel transition, I understand performance limitations, but it still irritates me that users hardly have any control over graphics other than only simple graphics levels.

11 Likes