Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

it will be fixed for sure. i’ll update when the fix is live (we already have it). thank you!

4 Likes

This is my opinion but I think FIB3 should be forced on all graphics level and change it to voxel at a very huge range or when it gets rid of the hdr rendering. I think this because I think this could cause issues for some developers and could give an unfair advantage. Imagine having a horror slasher game and a player decides to hide in a dark spot. Here’s how it would look like for a player with a high graphics level

Somewhere here is a block, pretend thats the player hiding.

But here’s it with lower end users

You can now actually see the block. If the person hiding is the slasher waiting for someone to kill the lower graphics level would easily see them and run giving an unfair advantage. But if a person running from the slasher and hides in a dark spot cause they cant see it if future is bright is enabled. The slasher who could have a low graphics level would easily see the person hiding but with fib3 you cant see that person which gives an unfair advantage. This is not the best example but you get what I mean. Maybe I’m wrong but I think this could be an issue. I don’t think voxel for artificial lights is that compatible with fib3.

9 Likes

the indoors would better match what voxel have but that change won’t be part of fib3. hopefully it’ll come around the same time as fib3 though, maybe shortly after

7 Likes

Can we make it so if an object is like a mirror it will make car games have working mirrors and useful for me as a bus group owner

3 Likes

Forcing it on all quality levels as it currently is under level 21 would make it physically impossible for a large portion of Roblox’s userbase to run a large portion of Roblox’s games. That’s not to say that there couldn’t be tweaks made to the lower-quality graphics for FiB3 games specifically that make the lighting levels match up better.

3 Likes

I completely understand that but maybe it should be optimized more so it’s feasible. Sorry if that came out dumb or rude, that’s not my intention. But, I think this because other games force it all on with the exact same tech and they seem to do just fine (pretty sure they get rid of the shadows after a certain range). And I’m just worried for voxel because the voxels are so big which could give an unfair advantage. And I’m worried if FIB3 would have to be more unrealistic so voxel wouldn’t give an unfair advantage. I don’t want FIB3 to be more unrealistic so voxel wouldn’t give an unfair advantage, but I don’t want an unfair advantage from voxel. Maybe I’m overthinking this, I do it fairly frequently.

1 Like

I know there has been complaints about lag with future lighting technology, but I just want to say my framerate drops by 30-40 when using the future lighting technology. And that’s quite a lot. Despite the fact that i’m running a pretty good desktop.

FUTURE LIGHTING ENABLED (20 FPS AVERAGE)

VOXEL LIGHTING ENABLED (52 FPS AVERAGE)

I hope there are big plans to reduce lag, cause big games would not be able to run smoothly with this lighting.

7 Likes

with fib3 you would kinda have to think how many lights (and what types of lights) you have in scene/camera. voxel/shadowmap is very forgiving in that regards. of course we’re doing our best to optimize/simplify workflows as much as possible (for example we’re thinking of adding few debug overlays to see lighting complexity, etc.) but with fib3 it’s also important to remember technical aspects. i’m sure together we’ll come up with better pipeline over time but hopefully current release would be a solid baseline

15 Likes

My friend is still reporting that surface lights don’t work properly

The light is supposed to come from the ground but it’s only rendering correctly on one surface only (The blue light on the block)
unknown (1)

3 Likes

Bug Report:

When you use Vulkan, Studio crashes with the “An unexpected error happened. We need to quit sorry” Screen appears when you set to Future.

Optimization issues aside, I am in love with what this does for my game.

25 Likes

I’m not sure why, but normal maps are EXTREMELY heavy on CPU performance.

In this room I have 2 point lights with shadows disabled.
when I get close enough to see the light interact with the normal maps, my CPU goes from minimum, to low yellow
here’s a clip:

2 Likes

would you mind doing microprofile capture when up close and send it to me via DM? i don’t think normal maps affect cpu at all

4 Likes

Sadly, using .Shadows on PointLights causes massive lag. I hope this would be sorted by release :confused:

3 Likes

Sliding across with a bug. Some lights appear to not have shadows at a certain camera angle, this happens when I have a lot of lights.

With PointLights, the lights go crazy, as in shadows, when a part is “moving” as in like CFrame change, I have doors that are animated, once I’ve “opened” a door and the animation has started, the lights flicker like crazy. (Not sure if physics affect this as well.)

If this bug was already reported, I’m sorry. I just wanted to make sure it was obvious.

Gyazo links if the videos didn’t load:
https://gyazo.com/21394ec9d6efef018450d8f2840f4107
https://gyazo.com/2a0261025b890f8537e2b78405d719b5

(The “Lighting” script has nothing to do with the lighting issues, there are no scripts that are enabling, nor disabling the lights.)

Specs:

CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core™ i3-8350K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 16.0 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060

5 Likes

FIB Phase 3 is probably going to make Roblox games look their closest to real life! Real life lighting that is… but anyways, I am very excited for Future lighting to be released to client to make my game I’m developing right now look amazing!

4 Likes

I can’t help but love the overall look of this new lighting technology. I would like to report that it does seem to have some issues with MeshParts, but other than that, I can’t wait until the full release!

Example of MeshPart Issues:
Snap 2020-11-13 at 22.52.00

By the way it works just fine with ShadowMap or Voxel, and the collisions of the MeshParts in question work perfectly thanks to the PreciseConvexDecomposition CollisionFidelity.

1 Like

I’ve noticed an issue with the borders between the lights here. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me? I set the lights properties normally, it was working fine before then what happened?

1 Like

FIB v3 allows for some great environment pictures :tongue:

3 Likes

HYPE!!! Can’t wait to see this in Roblox games. The future is very bright for Roblox!

2 Likes