Future Is Bright: Phase 3 - Studio Beta

That’s really cool,it doesn’t even look like roblox

1 Like

Can’t wait for this to stop being a studio only feature

19 Likes

how did you achieve this effect? :eyes:

This question has been answered a billion times but it should be this month or December which is said on the roadmap here Roblox Creator Roadmap

One thing i hope for at some point is for the light to change colors depending what part they go though. Such as a while light going though a green piece of glass changing it to green on the other side. Could use that at a disco with a spinning glass disk? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

@vrtblox Could you please solve the issue with terrain?

Whenever the part is placed inside of terrain, it will cast through the terrain to show ontop.

2 Likes

thanks for reporting. not sure if there’s reasonable fix for that but we’ll investigate

2 Likes

Forgot to include the repro process, here you go @vrtblox !

Step1: Create flat terrain.
Step2: Dig out a hole in a ball shape.
Step3: Create a flat basepart and resize it so that its just as wide as the terrain.
Step4: Add light and move it under the surface of the terrain.

The point of doing this is to make light in the shape of the hole in the ground.

When I enable it in studio I have to play the game to get it to work :confused:

Check your render settings in studio and make sure they’re not too low.

1 Like

Okay, thank you :grinning:

I will take note.

1 Like

lighting practice

15 Likes

i’ve updated the initial post with some latest information. we’re getting there!

13 Likes

please add ambient lighting I beg !!!

5 Likes

@vrtblox I found a bug with Future lightning, EditQualityLevel is 21

1 Like

just to make things clear i’ll post it here too. if you want something to be investigated/fixed please send me DM with place file and repro steps. videos are nice but not that helpful (unless paired with place file). we’re doing our best, thanks for cooperation!

4 Likes

Sadly there doesn’t seem to be any performance difference with just the lights itself but just helps performance for shadows. Maybe its just a bit small or affects lights that move. Also up close dragging a part under a light casting shadow seems to be costly for performance.

1 Like

I noticed improvements script wise when the light properties are changed via script. In some looping scripts before, there would be a longer delay between each loop than in ShadowMap, and after the update the delay is much more shorter, almost ShadowMap levels.

1 Like

there will always be overhead with fib3 compared to Shadowmap as with Shadowmap vs Voxel. this is because of nature of things. we’re doing local lighting computation that respects PBR setup per-pixel for each light and those computation don’t come free. we will continue to find ways to even further optimize both Shadowmap and Future modes to make it as fast as we possibly can. I hope you’re looking at milliseconds per frame and not the fps when measuring performance overhead/drops as fps is very misleading (because its non-linear)

4 Likes

I hope the flickering lights get fixed. Seems to happen when there’s a lot of lights and you zoom out or look at certain angles. Here’s the place where I see it happen in.WeirdFIB3FlickeringLights.rbxl (28.9 KB)

1 Like