Future vs. Shadowmap

A new Lighting Technology recently came out: Future. However, I do not understand how this is any different from Shadowmap. Here are some pics:

Future:

Shadowmap:

They look like they’re the exact same. What’s the difference?

9 Likes

Future and Shadow map are completely different in one case when working with it: Lighting.

Future has this nice ability to make PointLight and SurfaceLight look like real life or in some cases, mind-blowing as it can be used for future showcases or to test it out with many front-page games. Here is an example of what the “Future” settings does in studio when working with lights:

Shadowmap just makes it look more realistic with shadows and that’s all, but future just makes it more realistic than ever.

Announcement thread for more information.

21 Likes

You’re comparing them in the wrong parameters. The difference as of right now is the shadow projection from the spot lights and etc. Not shadows from the sun.

28 Likes

Is the first example Shadowmap and the second Future?

4 Likes

Yep, in the first video you can see shadowmap lighting and on the second is Future.

6 Likes
7 Likes

As @loueque& @EhhDmitry stated, here’s some pictures with the difference of using future and shadowmap.

These images don’t really show much difference in future but minor details like to differ

Compatibility Lighting:

Voxel Lighting:

Shadowmap lighting:

Future Lighting:

Basically as others stated above, it makes the lighting a lot more realistic & projects shadows more realistically unlike shadowmap.

11 Likes

I made this just to show how future lighting technology is compared to shadowmap

Shadowmap:

Future:

as you can see future and shadowmap are very different.

14 Likes

Going off topic a little, I like how it went from that to this

16 Likes

Change the environment diffuse scale and specular scale. If you tweak it right you should see a change. The reflection is better, light diffusion etc, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Currently speaking, when you use shadowmap it makes it so light does not go through any parts or unions, etc. It won’t go through “walls.” When you use future the light goes through the wall creating no shadow behind the light.

3 Likes

There’s a huge difference in quality.

Here’s an example:

Shadowmap:

Future:

21 Likes

I know this post is a little old at this point, but most people seem to misunderstand the differences between the lighting systems.

1. Compatibility: Simulates the old Legacy lighting system so games that use lights from 2013-2018 do not break. Try to avoid this lighting system on new projects.
  2. Voxel: Uses HDR and other effects to improve the color and contrast, but still has low-res shadows and lights. This is typically only intentionally used on low-poly games.
  3. Shadowmap: Essentially voxel lighting just with HD sun shadows. These shadows are only projected from the sun and do not apply to lights from PointLights or other dynamic lighting (ex. from flashlights, lamps, etc.), which still uses the old low-res lighting and shadows.
  4. Future: The most current and realistic system to use, which is essentially everything from ShadowMap but with HD shadows from other light sources and high-res lighting with better textures. This currently will only show in Studio and not in games.

So you will basically never see any difference between ShadowMap and Future in outdoor scenes that do not have any other light sources in them besides the sun.

17 Likes

What’s the difference between Shadowmap and Voxel map and Compactiblity in Lighting

Could you tell whats the best mode for obbies, obbies shouldn’t lag, so they don’t need shadows, which lighting mode, removes shadows in game?

You can use any between voxel and shadowmap/future, and disable GlobalShadows.
Use compatibility for less contrast.

It seems that Future just has really intensified shadows.

1 Like