Game Quest Challenge 2021 - Rules & Guidelines

But they never said anything about programming and animating it.

Well a weapon, isn’t very much a weapon if it doesn’t do anything

1 Like

@Moxyll Is it possible to have a better explanation of the first challenge? It doesnt make sense. Do we only make a weapon? (Which means builers, gfx and ui are useless) or is it a whole game?

3 Likes

Are we just making the weapon & coding it to be functional? or creating a little game to fit this narrative with the legendary weapon that defeats all evil…

3 Likes

Can someone show me what the themes are and where I can submit my game once it is done?

It’s a medieval theme.

You can submit it here: https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/6256128/Game-Quest-Challenge-March-2021

Btw, not sure we’re supposed to make a game, from what I read, it looks like we’re only making a weapon, and that’s it (only the model of the weapon, nothing else).

Wrong. I am very certain they want us to make a game. They would want us to be able to use many different skills in the project. If it was about making a weapon they would only cover 3D modeling skills. Therefore it’s quite realistic that you have to make a game. But you are correct, the weapon is a big part of it. The game you make should be medieval-themed and should be about this legendary weapon that you need to create. So you are creating the weapon AND a game to somehow tell a story about it or something similar. That is where you need creativity. This seems the most likely considering you need three team members. They even said:

The story of this adventure is up to you, surprise us!

This means you need to produce some kind of adventure type of game about the weapon. Example a story on how things happen. I hope this helps explain several concerns. And for the filetype, I think you just need to zip a folder containing a Roblox file with your content. I don’t think the type matters as long as you get delivered what you want and that it is a Roblox file. The reason for that is that they have mentioned several file types. They mention RBXM and RBLX and RBLXM in the same form so it appears to me that it should basically be a Roblox file and then you are good to go.

The massive amount of confusion here is telling me that the instructions need clarifying. I’m pretty sure we’re just submitting a model. The game is for the main challenge, which doesn’t happen until 4/24.

4 Likes

Then why did they say “The story of this adventure is up to you, surprise us!”?

Pretty sure that’s just a throwaway line. They would have explained more about making a game if they wanted us to make a game.

As this is a mini-challenge, I believe we are making a functional weapon.

There are multiple challenges, all leading up to the final one. I’m not sure a team of 3 can make a function game so quickly.

well, so far my team has made our whole map so i think it’s quite possible

2 Likes

I believe a game jam normally consists of producing a GAME. The whole point is making a game in a short time. The final game might not be production-worthy but should somehow show what you are trying to do. I do not believe that each challenge is connected as they say you can only do two but still participate in the main challenge. So if you didn’t do one of them, you would have a disadvantage over others? Also, mini-challenge 3 and the main challenge is both games as described in the requirements.

My team produced the weapon in a few hours only. That was one person. Why have such a long time and require 3 people if it’s a weapon we are making? Would make more sense for it to be a game…

More realistic example
You don’t hire 3 cleaners for 24 hours to clean a small room, you hire 3 cleaners for 24 hours to clean something large like a building.

1 Like

I think it’s only a model but with animations and scripting. It wouldn’t really make sense to build an entire game just for a mini challenge. The point of there being 3 people on a team is probably because you’re going to have to build a game in the main challenges and it would be hard for one person. I may be wrong so don’t take my word for it.

They wouldn’t just make you create a game with an entire story line right as the thing starts. Maybe they are starting off small and easy and then they make the challenges harder.

This is what I think as well, but they never confirmed it, so I don’t wanna waste my time programming and animating to later learn that it was only the Weapon Model and nothing else.

@Moxyll can you please confirm the objective for this first challenge? Are we supposed to make only a weapon, and does it need to be animated and programmed, or only the model itself?

1 Like

It clearly says that this is a game jam with a twist. The twist is clearly that we will have 3 mini challenges (or mini game jams to make it easier) and one main challenge (main game jam).

Definition of a gamejam, from Wikipedia
A game jam is a contest where participants try to make a video game from scratch. Depending on the format, participants might work independently, or in teams. The contest duration usually ranges from 24 to 72 hours. Participants are generally programmers, game designers, artists, writers, and others in game development-related fields.

There are plenty of developers who could easily build a small story game in no time. It depens on how good you are at developing. Since they require 3 people on each team it makes more sense that it is bigger than just a model. They are starting out slow with a tiny game, just a simple story sorunding the weapon, don’t need to big. Then each mini challenge will most likely get you prepeared for the main challenge by increasing in diffuculty. Just because they need to get harder does not mean they need to start off as simple as a model. They most likely required 3 team members because they know it’s not easy to complete alone.

It’s stated in the submission form that ALL submissions must be in an .RBXM format, not .RBXL.