Give developers more control over TopBar Icons

About

Developers are significantly limited when using the TopBar to store custom icons. Many of us utilise this area for shops, feedback-menus and help-panels, saving space we originally couldn’t afford to use elsewhere.

For example, HiddoDev’s tycoon with 1 billion visits and HD Admin both utilise custom icons:

The Problem

To achieve this currently, we have to disable the existing topbar, create a fake topbar, determine how many CoreGuis are visible, then calculate the inset for our icons appropriately. This alone creates a lot of hassle for developers, and with the introduction of the Emotes menu, it’s almost impossible to position icons perfectly now-a-days, for reasons mentioned here.

Solution

The solution? A new set of inbuilt functions to easily add, adapt and remove our own TopBar Icons.

StarterGui:CreateIcon(name, image, slot)

StarterGui:SetIconImage(name, image)

StarterGui:SetIconSlot(name, slot)

StarterGui:RemoveIcon(name)

Where name is the unique identifier of the icon, image the image of the icon, and slot the order the icon appears in after the final visible CoreGui (default: #slots+1).

81 Likes

Additionally, can CoreGuiChangedSignal have its elevated context reduced? This is causing even more restrictions for developers, as mentioned in this post. What reason is there to limit this feature?

6 Likes

I would use something like this. Much support!

6 Likes

When is this going to be a thing? It seems like this would be incredibly simple to implement and save a lot of hassle.

4 Likes

I support this now that they’ve decided to change the topbar icons a while back. The ROBLOX logo being the new icon for the menu is really off-putting and does not fit in any of my creations. I’d rather be able to change it and the chat icon natively to something that fits the aesthetic that I try to aim for in my experiences.

3 Likes

We need this, not only this but also being able to change the topbar background transparency

1 Like

Why is it not feasible to put a frame up there yourself?

This is what I mean by what I said: