Give members access to lounge category - or their own

Currently I am seeing an increasing amount of redundant topics in the #development-discussion category. They do not contribute in any significant way and are usually created with casual questions in mind, or at the very least, made with little forethought.

Redundant topics are being created at a rate which cant be realistically flagged. This causes a general dissatisfaction for people who use #development-discussion as originally intended.

I think this is happening because members do not have elsewhere to create these types of topics.

I believe that something along the lines of editing #lounge category permissions or creating a new one would be required to mediate this issue. It’s currently flooding a category that should contain resourceful topics that don’t fit within #resources:community-resources so you can find best practices within development on Roblox.

Mini-modding isn’t a solution, nor is putting extra pressure on Post Approval or Community Editors. This is what I think would be the best take.

15 Likes

While there is no actual solution to the discussion problem, opening lounge or making a new one would influence more people to join the devforum solely because of the off topic category. The devforum shouldn’t even have a lounge category realistically. The devforum was made for development discussions. Lounge is a privilege to regulars, imo.

2 Likes

Or developer engagement team can be more strict with enforcing the rules of posting in the wrong category. While moderation has gotten a bit more stricter it is not enough.

The entire #lounge category is off-topic to the developer forum. I wouldn’t mind it going. And I would like to not see constant rants about Roblox moderation or nostalgically biased rants about it becoming “too realistic”.

This. This would also require more moderation resources, which is costly. And this forum is for developers, I wouldn’t want this forum to become the old forum.

1 Like

I don’t have much against the #lounge category being removed all together.

But something like that may face backlash from people who use it.
Whilst the idea sounds good on paper, it could possibly lead to more time being spent on moderation within the existing categories, as some users would want to use #development-discussion as a replacement for it. I do agree that a change like that could be argued for by saying that there are other public platforms available for such activities and that the specific group of users could migrate there.

Instead of doing that you could redirect those users to a different category though.

Maybe the #lounge:off-topic branch can be changed into its own #lounge:roblox-discussion equivalent for members instead? Since posts unrelated to Roblox aren’t needed for this forum.

Either way, any possible change to decrease unneeded posts in #development-discussion is welcome.

1 Like

Bad idea on my opinion. People would use the Roblox Discussion category just for anything because they don’t know where they should post there topics.
This would increase the amount of flags which creates more work for the Developer Relations Team.

Members need to remember this is a developer forum, not a roblox forum. If they are here to talk about roblox as a platform (not the developer side of it) then they can go somewhere else. Many have said if the forum was created today lounge would not have been made, further emphasising my point that members don’t need lounge. Its just a side perk of obtaining regular. Opening up lounge is also not viable due to the fact both roblox discussion and off topic have sensitive content designed to only be viewed by regulars.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a good idea to give members access to the lounge category as it will immensely lower the quality of the category. This has already sort of happened already with the #development-discussion board.

I think Devforum should be more clear and layout transparent hurdles, members have to overcome in order to get ranked up.

Doing it this way as per my opinion weeds out members that do not provide meaningful discussion and safehavens the quality the Lounge has. Whilst also providing competent members a way to earning their place as a Regular and providing them a proper platform to speak out.

1 Like